Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Old Man Emu

Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Old Man Emu

So I see a lot of people with ome lifts and I was wondering what's so special about them over something like icon? I'm trying to decide which one to go with. I don't do much off roading, but I want something that'll last and do great when I do go. Also I'm planning on putting an arb bumper with a winch so which shocks would be good?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Old Man Emu is considerably less expensive than Icon, but is still high quality durable gear.

For an ARB Bumper with winch, you'll want the 886 springs. But they're stiff enough you won't want to be putting them on and running them for a long time before you get around to putting on that bumper.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Old Man Emu is considerably less expensive than Icon, but is still high quality durable gear.

For an ARB Bumper with winch, you'll want the 886 springs. But they're stiff enough you won't want to be putting them on and running them for a long time before you get around to putting on that bumper.
Both of these statements are very true.

OME is definitely cheaper than Icon's... But Icon's are definitely a better choice if you have the $$$.

I put on 886's at the same time I did my bumper/winch. Worked out nicely .
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Pretty much this... Icon, Fox and King will be a much higher performing shock but also more than double the cost. If you don't need that kind of high end performance or the ability to custom valve the shock, OME makes some good, tough products at a reasonable cost.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Okay that all helps thank you. And so what is good for the rear then? I tow a few times a year 5000lbs
Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
OME Dakars of course.
^^^THIS! Those springs are awesome for towing. I nor any of the people that went with me on that trip can express how impressed we were with this setup towing a 1977 ranger bass boat, two 70 qt coolers in the bed, gear for 5 people for the weekend and five guys inside. The truck sat level with that load.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
OME Dakars of course.
There you go!

Check out my build page to see what OME suspension can do. I am very happy with it
Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
So ome over adjustable billies?
personally, I dont like adjustability unless I need it. With the OME, it gives you perfect height to run 32s or 33s with minor trimming. Adjustable billies would be good if you want to have it at a lower setting and run 265s or less for example

edit: but if you're going to have the billies at the highest setting to run 33s (285s for example), you would be just as well off with OME because you're going to be at the same height anyway
Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #12

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
personally, I dont like adjustability unless I need it. With the OME, it give you perfect height to run 32s or 33s with minor trimming. Adjustable billies would be good if you want to have it at a lower setting and run 265s for example
Gotcha. Well is there a difference in the ride?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Nothin' Special

especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha. Well is there a difference in the ride?
check out my edit above too

Not sure about the difference in ride. If your going with a plate bumper and winch, you need the OME with 886 coils - I dont think the Billies can handle all that extra weight, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty damn confident that if you are getting a ARB bumper with a winch, you are going to need/want OME setup with 886 coils
Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #14

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
check out my edit above too

Not sure about the difference in ride. If your going with a plate bumper and winch, you need the OME with 886 coils - I dont think the Billies can handle all that extra weight, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty damn confident that if you are getting a ARB bumper with a winch, you are going to need/want OME setup with 886 coils
Okay great. Thanks man. Where online is good to look at the kits? it seems like all of the places have so many options. I don't know which one is the right way to go
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
OME ride is kinda firm but not bad per say. I like the way mine rides a lot better than stock. The stock setup felt kinda spongy to me. I have noticed since I loaded the rear springs down with gear and a boat for a trip that it's not as stiff in the back as it was. I'm assuming they needed a little breaking in. Over all I'm still very happy with the OME kit and if I had to do it over again I would make the same decision on another vehicle. Now when the truck is loaded oh man! It like a caddy going down the road minus the sinking the stock rear springs have with any load on them.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
Quote:
Okay great. Thanks man. Where online is good to look at the kits? it seems like all of the places have so many options. I don't know which one is the right way to go
I got my complete kit with Dakar rear springs and the front struts assembled for $1382 shipped from Toytec. Mine was a bolt on when it came in assembled. Of course I'm in Georgia, you could probably pick it up from them and save all the shipping. Don't forget Toytec gives a TW discount.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #17

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
What do the top plate spacers do exactly?

This is what I put together. Does it sound about right?

Front coil options: Heavy_886_coils_(200+_lbs_add_front_weight)
Top plate spacers: No_top_plate_spacers
Rear Options: Complete rear OME CS047R springs with U bolts (+ $469.00)
Front Diff drop kit: 4X4
Add Rear shock stone guards (Pair): Yes (+ $26.00)
NEW! Assemble front shocks/coils with new bushings: Yes (+ $100.00)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Nothin' Special

especk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
I got my complete kit with Dakar rear springs and the front struts assembled for $1382 shipped from Toytec. Mine was a bolt on when it came in assembled. Of course I'm in Georgia, you could probably pick it up from them and save all the shipping. Don't forget Toytec gives a TW discount.
I bought mine from Wheelers Offroad (also a vendor on TW that gives discounts). Call them up and tell them exactly what you want. Wheelers has really good customer service and offers assembly of the coils/struts too. I dont think you could go wrong with Wheelers or Toytec - either way, I would recommend calling them to talk to an actual person about it. Dont forget to have them add the "trim packer" on the driver's side. Also, get the 3 degree shims for the rear leaf pack to help keep your driveline angle better
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
They give you the extra 1/2" of lift with the kit to get a full 3"
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
Ditch Doctor

EMS:
Quote:
What do the top plate spacers do exactly?

This is what I put together. Does it sound about right?

Front coil options: Heavy_886_coils_(200+_lbs_add_front_weight)
Top plate spacers: No_top_plate_spacers
Rear Options: Complete rear OME CS047R springs with U bolts (+ $469.00)
Front Diff drop kit: 4X4
Add Rear shock stone guards (Pair): Yes (+ $26.00)
NEW! Assemble front shocks/coils with new bushings: Yes (+ $100.00)
What size tires do you want to run? I don't really see the need for the stone guards on the nitro shocks in the kit. BTW I sent you a pm about the kit I bought.