Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

MY TRUCK BED LOOKS OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HELP!!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Taco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
MY TRUCK BED LOOKS OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HELP!!

Hey everybody,

Ever since I installed an AAL on my truck, the truck bed looks out of align. The measurements taken from the cab to the bed is different on both sides of the truck. Also, I have about 2 inches less lift on the left side of the truck than on the right measuring from the ground to the inside wheel well. My truck pulls to the right a little bit. No vibration on the steering wheel. Tires are wearing evenly. Any suggestions? The dealership said all of the tacomas have a driver side lean. That sounds ridiculous...why would Toyota sell a truck with a driver side lean? Anyway, does any one else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

I am about to just take the aal out and inspect the springs. The rear leaves are about shot in this truck. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
MY TRUCK BED LOOKS OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HELP!!-image.jpg   MY TRUCK BED LOOKS OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HELP!!-image-1.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Loosen the bed bolts and you can slide it around! Be careful nt to strip the trox bits cause mine where rusted in! Think its #55!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Blueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/ EMT
Name: Matt
Blueanimal's Tacoma Gallery
As for the bed you should be able to loosen the bolt in the bed and shift it a hair. I don't think you can move it much but it might be enough to fix the bed. As for the other stuff hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Blueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/ EMT
Name: Matt
Blueanimal's Tacoma Gallery
Nvm. I got beat to the punch.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco227 View Post
The dealership said all of the tacomas have a driver side lean. That sounds ridiculous...why would Toyota sell a truck with a driver side lean?
Welcome to the Tacoma Lean.
+1 to the dealer for actually knowing his stuff.

the lean is because all heavy items are on the driver side - gas tank, battery, primary occupant... plus the rear springs are historically weak.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey everybody,

Ever since I installed an AAL on my truck, the truck bed looks out of align. The measurements taken from the cab to the bed is different on both sides of the truck. Also, I have about 2 inches less lift on the left side of the truck than on the right measuring from the ground to the inside wheel well. My truck pulls to the right a little bit. No vibration on the steering wheel. Tires are wearing evenly. Any suggestions? The dealership said all of the tacomas have a driver side lean. That sounds ridiculous...why would Toyota sell a truck with a driver side lean? Anyway, does any one else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

I am about to just take the aal out and inspect the springs. The rear leaves are about shot in this truck. Please help!
A 2 inch difference isn't right... are your add-a-leafs the same?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
A 2 inch difference isn't right... are your add-a-leafs the same?
True dat
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Taco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to beholdTaco227 is a splendid one to behold

Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
yea the springs suck! I was hauling 2 yards of mulch the other day and I was very close to the bump stops. As for moving the bed around...I don't think that would fix the ride height difference? And yes the add a leafs are the same. Should I go ahead and take them apart? My dad was driving behind me the other day and said it looks like my truck was doggy walking to the right a little... It's very noticeable when looking at the back of the truck.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea the springs suck! I was hauling 2 yards of mulch the other day and I was very close to the bump stops. As for moving the bed around...I don't think that would fix the ride height difference? And yes the add a leafs are the same. Should I go ahead and take them apart? My dad was driving behind me the other day and said it looks like my truck was doggy walking to the right a little... It's very noticeable when looking at the back of the truck.
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a broken leaf on the low side ?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is definitely something not right..... ever in an accident? Take some pics of both sides if you can.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, broken leaf or you def need a new leaf pack! Moving the bed helped me with about 3/4" forward as I was rubbing at full stuff but it worked!

You def have a bigger issue going on though!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
The leaf doesn't look broken. I can post more pics tomorrow when I have some light. Truck has never been in an accident. I feel like its been like this since the lift has been installed.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #14

Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
Now that I think about it....having a broken leaf could be the problem. I have no noises coming from the springs though. Hang on...I'm going outside to check. :/
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The leaf doesn't look broken. I can post more pics tomorrow when I have some light. Truck has never been in an accident. I feel like its been like this since the lift has been installed.
It's just the rear, right?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #16

Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, just the rear left is lower than the right.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Beds on these trucks have a tolerance. Them being off some from side to side isn't uncommon.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now that I think about it....having a broken leaf could be the problem. I have no noises coming from the springs though. Hang on...I'm going outside to check. :/
The leaf can be broken between the U bolts , so it is hard to see
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #19

Taco227's Tacoma Gallery
Leafs aren't broken. I have looked at each side about 50 times trying to compare them haha