Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front End Popping.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
hondarider215 will become famous soon enough

Name: Wes
hondarider215's Tacoma Gallery
Ive searched through countless threads also about my front end clunking and ive found out that it was my uca's making the noise. I had someone stand in my driver door way and bounce up and down and that how i found and heard the problem but idk what to do to the uca to make it stop clunking
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
About your rubbing, what do you have the LR UCA's set at? There was a LR UCA alignment thread somewhere, where a guy had them set to give too much caster, and it pushed the wheel far enough back to where he was having alot of rubbing, so he set them forward to the next setting and it eliminated the problem. As for the popping, did you hear the popping before you put on the UCA's? Check your torque on all the nuts n bolts including the ball joint to spindle nut. LR says it should be 45ftlbs, seems a little light to me, but that may be your culprit.
I know what thread your referring to. I read that thread when I Installed them. I was planning on going to the shop again and have them adjust to another settingas well as torque everything down more. Should have It done Monday or Tuesday. Will post results.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revival! Lol
I'm tired of my new (2011) truck making more noises than my friends 79 bronco
Anytime i am offroad and go over a bump(slow speeds ~5-10mph) my front end makes all sorts of noises lol.

I've searched multiple threads tonight and doesn't seem like anyone has exactly found the solution to our noisy front ends but I'm subbing to this one in hopes someone will come up with something eventually lol.

My noise:
Popping/clunking sound while going over bumps/rocks/stumps etc at slow speeds. Happens while turning or going straight. Truck is a 2011 with 13,000 miles so I'm hoping I don't need new CV shafts.
Not 100% sure how to check the Cvs due to this being my first Yota and the last truck I had was a dodge and when those cv's went out ...well let's just say you could hear it a mile away...
My suspension:
Sway bar removed
Total Chaos UCA's
King RR adj. c/os
Tires: 33x12.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers(cab mount chopped and Tires are not rubbing anywhere when noise is heard)

Anyone have ideas/suggestions/advice?

Or do I just say
Tacomas are the most reliable rattle traps out there and will rattle for many many years to come.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Thread revival! Lol
I'm tired of my new (2011) truck making more noises than my friends 79 bronco
Anytime i am offroad and go over a bump(slow speeds ~5-10mph) my front end makes all sorts of noises lol.

I've searched multiple threads tonight and doesn't seem like anyone has exactly found the solution to our noisy front ends but I'm subbing to this one in hopes someone will come up with something eventually lol.

My noise:
Popping/clunking sound while going over bumps/rocks/stumps etc at slow speeds. Happens while turning or going straight. Truck is a 2011 with 13,000 miles so I'm hoping I don't need new CV shafts.
Not 100% sure how to check the Cvs due to this being my first Yota and the last truck I had was a dodge and when those cv's went out ...well let's just say you could hear it a mile away...
My suspension:
Sway bar removed
Total Chaos UCA's
King RR adj. c/os
Tires: 33x12.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers(cab mount chopped and Tires are not rubbing anywhere when noise is heard)

Anyone have ideas/suggestions/advice?

Or do I just say
Tacomas are the most reliable rattle traps out there and will rattle for many many years to come.

Hit your lower control arm cam nuts with a torque wrench set at 100ftlbs, then check the rest of your suspension for proper torque.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
Ahmadahere
ahmadahere is on a distinguished road
ahmadahere's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem and it turned out to be the torsion bar bushing. I re-tightened the bolt (the one that has a stud on it with an internal hex head on the end) and the popping went away.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Wasn't aware that Tacomas had torsion bars. Do you mean sway bar link?
Yea Im 99% sure we dont have torsion bars.
And my sway bar has been removed so that's not it lol
Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes. Definitely no torsion bars. Sway bars only. It could be the sway bar if not removed. Or the UCA bushings. My popping went away after about a week of install of the new UCAs. I think the bushings just needed to be broken in.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
Ahmadahere
ahmadahere is on a distinguished road
ahmadahere's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was referring to the anti-sway bar bushing. I called it a torsion bar because that is what I thought it was called. Technically it is a bar that "twists", so I just called it a torsion bar! LOL I'm learning. Do torsion bars have different functions that anti-sway bars?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #31
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadahere View Post
Yeah I was referring to the anti-sway bar bushing. I called it a torsion bar because that is what I thought it was called. Technically it is a bar that "twists", so I just called it a torsion bar! LOL I'm learning. Do torsion bars have different functions that anti-sway bars?
Torsion bars are like springs. Older toyota pick ups and chevy trucks use them instead of coil springs in the front end.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #32

Late 90's model f-150s had them too. You could lift the front by cranking up the torsion bars.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #33
Dirty G is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Steve
Dirty G's Tacoma Gallery
I have a clunk when turning right, driver side only. It is never the same noise and does not always happen.

Have a 2011 with 5100s and toytec springs; complete lift is 2.5 inches.

Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #34

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty G View Post
I have a clunk when turning right, driver side only. It is never the same noise and does not always happen.

Have a 2011 with 5100s and toytec springs; complete lift is 2.5 inches.

Any ideas?

Check torque on all front end suspension nuts n bolts. Most common for clunking is going to be the lower control arm cam nuts and bolts. Usually the tech that does the alignment tightens them good, but not enough. They should be at 100ftlbs a piece. Then check the rest of the fasteners for proper torque, and that should solve your problems.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #36
Dirty G is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Steve
Dirty G's Tacoma Gallery
Found my problem. The two bolts connecting the lower ball joint to the spindle were loose.
The truck is tight and clunk free.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #38
pairodice is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
pairodice's Tacoma Gallery
i had the same noise on my gen 1 w/ ome lift ended up being a bad lower ball joint. weird thing was if you jacked it up and checked with a pry bar it felt tight but when i took it apart the ball was scarred up
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #39
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
I have a clunking sound coming from the front end going over speed bumps between 5-10mph, while turning over uneven surface, and going over speed tables at 25mph. I've got Eibach's/5100's @ 0.85". I'm going to go back and make sure all the bolts are tight this weekend and see if I can solve the clunking issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #40

Check your shocks lower eyelet bushings. Mine were destroyed and were casuing the clunk