Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Please Help: Will Procomp 17" 7032 fit on a 6 Inch Suspension?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
jrmitt808 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: JR
jrmitt808's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Please Help: Will Procomp 17" 7032 fit on a 6 Inch Suspension?

Hey All,

This has probably been asked a million times but the answer I am looking for is a backspacing question. I've seen that 4.5 and higher will clear a 6 inch lift and in another thread 4.0-4.65, I just ordered 17x9 procomp wheels with 4.75 backspacing from 4wheelparts. Oh look just answered my own question...we'll according to a local offroad shop they recommend going either with an 16 or 18 inch wheel. I've seen other trucks with 17" wheels (not the procomps) and a 6 inch lift but not sure what the backspacing was. Hopefully this is a go cause I do not want to go about returning these rims.

Also if anyone has returned anything back to 4wheelparts, their experience with the process would help as well.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
What tire size do you plan on running? 18 is recommended for looks and nothing else. You can run 17 just fine.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
jrmitt808 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: JR
jrmitt808's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, i'll work with the shop.

I am probably going with 33's maybe Nitto Trail Grapplers or Procomp A/Ts. Suggestions?

Glad the 17's work...I am not a fan of big rims, I like more tire. 18's look took big on the Tacoma...and 20's...oh god...leave those rims for Escalades and Rappers.

Wonder why they would suggest the 18's if 17's work? Or is it one of those things where procomp is compatible with itself and most 17 inch wheels won't fit.

Also I checked out fabtech and they suggest 17 and over. Just FYI if anyone is wondering the same.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmitt808 View Post
Thanks guys, i'll work with the shop.

I am probably going with 33's maybe Nitto Trail Grapplers or Procomp A/Ts. Suggestions?

Glad the 17's work...I am not a fan of big rims, I like more tire. 18's look took big on the Tacoma...and 20's...oh god...leave those rims for Escalades and Rappers.

Wonder why they would suggest the 18's if 17's work? Or is it one of those things where procomp is compatible with itself and most 17 inch wheels won't fit.

Also I checked out fabtech and they suggest 17 and over. Just FYI if anyone is wondering the same.
It's not a fitment issue at all. It's a "looks" thing. Maybe they need to bend the bills of their hats and put the Monster down.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Hello Everybody
B1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shedB1GRED is one of the sharper tools in the shed

B1GRED's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
It's not a fitment issue at all. It's a "looks" thing. Maybe they need to bend the bills of their hats and put the Monster down.

You're positive about this?! I'm about to purchase my 6" Procomp and like the OP, I prefer more tire than rim! 17's is where its at but I've been told over the phone by procomp that i should use an 18 as the steering rod would hit the inside of a 17" rim....
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
livnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
livnlrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GRED View Post
You're positive about this?! I'm about to purchase my 6" Procomp and like the OP, I prefer more tire than rim! 17's is where its at but I've been told over the phone by procomp that i should use an 18 as the steering rod would hit the inside of a 17" rim....
If you have the correct backspacing, it doesn't matter. I tried a 16'' on mine just to see if it would fit, & it did. My backspace is 4.5 on a 17'' rim
Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
PCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCHearn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: During Viet Nam
Name: Patrick
PCHearn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 Double Cab Tacoma PreRunner and I had my local 4WheelParts shop put on a 3” Procomp lift, 17x9 RBP 93R wheels with a 4.5” backspace, and 305/65/17 Procomp Xtreme AT tires. I needed a little trimming, but not much.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Evenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Evenflow's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Sorry but you are giving him some really bad info, if you are not familiar with a product you shouldn't chime in with incorrect info...oh wait it's the internet :/

Two issues with 6" kit clearance :

1. The new spindles that come with all of the 6" kits flip your tie rod end over to the top which does in fact create a clearance issue between the tie rod end and the back of the rim. The tie rod end is flipped over to decrease the angle of the rack/ tie rod caused by the 6" lift. 16's absolutely will not fit with a 6" kit and 17's are really really close too but will fit however you should test fit any rim purchasing to be 100% sure.

2. When you test fit your rim let the suspension droop too and look for potential clearance issues with the spindle behind the top edge of the tire. The 4.5" back spacing they spec is also for good reason. With a 4.5 back spacing there is barely an inch between the back of your tire and the beefier and taller spindle that comes with the 6" kit.

... The reason All of the drop bracket kits suggest an 18" rim is not " just for looks ".