1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good shock oil?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by goomba, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    goomba

goomba [OP] It is a Fluid Situation

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    96 White Ex. Cab Tacoma TRD 4X4
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    I am rebuilding DR coilovers and billy 7100's, and I am trying to figure out what shock oil to use?

2. May 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Ive always used the stuff from Fox.

3. May 31, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    Is there different weight oils?

4. May 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You can find different weights, but I've always used the 10wt.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks chris!

6. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Just curious...

Chris - what fox oil do you use that is 10wt? I was using the blue and according to most sources blue is 5wt. The only other stuff my local shop had was red which is supposed to be 7wt.

I wasn't too happy with the fox blue (shock performance felt light and bouncy, though maybe it's related to something else) and so a buddy of mine who races said to go buy 7wt ATF. He said ATF and shock oil are both hydraulic oils and will work in coilovers and what have you. Ever hear of this?

7. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Supermoto

Supermoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    ATF is very similar to shock oil, used it many times in a pinch. I wouldn't run it all the time though. I've always ran the fox blue or the king clear oil.

8. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Is king 7wt?

9. Sep 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    Supermoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    Pretty sure it's 5wt just like fox's blue oil. The red 7wt that fox and swayaway make is really only for race use and needs to be changed a lot. Doesn't do well with lots of heat cycles.

10. Sep 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Right I've heard that consensus too. Only reason I'm on a quest for 7wt is because I'm not diggin the ride at the moment and the only thing I haven't tried is to switch back from the fox 5wt to the Icon 7wt. I called Icon and they said their shocks are filled and tuned with 7wt ($55 a gallon). After realizing that ATF is 7wt also, I was thinking about giving that a shot. Some say there's a noticeable difference between 5wt and 7wt. I guess I'll have to give it a shot to find out.

11. Sep 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Supermoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    I just read somewhere at king is 7wt? might be worth giving king a call to confirm

12. Sep 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Yeah some where on DR I was reading that. I think I'll give them a call and see.

13. Sep 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Exactly right, the red is for racing, meaning if you tear your shock down after every race its fine, if your just playing around just use the blue.

Same thing in motorcycles, in my play bikes I use the standard oil and only change it once per year, in my race bikes I change it after every race or two since it breaks down faster and honestly I cant really notice a night and day difference between the two oils, even the regular stuff doesnt seem to fade too badly when it heats up.

ATF is also often used (mobil1 ATF) I had a suspension guy in the past that would use nothing but that, but after I had a cartridge failure in my front forks I had them redone, shitty thing is i figured out my forks were bad just before a big nationals race with the big boys, had to use a friends bike and had to race a completely different class on a bone stock bike...I now use only suspension fluids in my forks, not ATF, not sure if it caused the failure, but dont want to find out either..

14. Sep 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    mill72

mill72 Active Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road DC
    265/75/16 Yokohama AT/S with Black Method Wheels..... Coming: Thuren 2.5" King Suspension with full leafs.
    Bilstein 7wt oil..

15. Mar 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    RIDDICK3

RIDDICK3 nuckin futs member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Orem, Utah
    Icon, omd, lr uca, bed speakers, t-rex grill, 170 striker lights.
    where is the best place to buy the fox or king oil?

Products Discussed in

To Top