Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Good shock oil?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Good shock oil?

I am rebuilding DR coilovers and billy 7100's, and I am trying to figure out what shock oil to use?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ive always used the stuff from Fox.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Is there different weight oils?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
Is there different weight oils?
You can find different weights, but I've always used the 10wt.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious...

Chris - what fox oil do you use that is 10wt? I was using the blue and according to most sources blue is 5wt. The only other stuff my local shop had was red which is supposed to be 7wt.

I wasn't too happy with the fox blue (shock performance felt light and bouncy, though maybe it's related to something else) and so a buddy of mine who races said to go buy 7wt ATF. He said ATF and shock oil are both hydraulic oils and will work in coilovers and what have you. Ever hear of this?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
Just curious...

Chris - what fox oil do you use that is 10wt? I was using the blue and according to most sources blue is 5wt. The only other stuff my local shop had was red which is supposed to be 7wt.

I wasn't too happy with the fox blue (shock performance felt light and bouncy, though maybe it's related to something else) and so a buddy of mine who races said to go buy 7wt ATF. He said ATF and shock oil are both hydraulic oils and will work in coilovers and what have you. Ever hear of this?
ATF is very similar to shock oil, used it many times in a pinch. I wouldn't run it all the time though. I've always ran the fox blue or the king clear oil.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Is king 7wt?
Pretty sure it's 5wt just like fox's blue oil. The red 7wt that fox and swayaway make is really only for race use and needs to be changed a lot. Doesn't do well with lots of heat cycles.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
Pretty sure it's 5wt just like fox's blue oil. The red 7wt that fox and swayaway make is really only for race use and needs to be changed a lot. Doesn't do well with lots of heat cycles.
Right I've heard that consensus too. Only reason I'm on a quest for 7wt is because I'm not diggin the ride at the moment and the only thing I haven't tried is to switch back from the fox 5wt to the Icon 7wt. I called Icon and they said their shocks are filled and tuned with 7wt ($55 a gallon). After realizing that ATF is 7wt also, I was thinking about giving that a shot. Some say there's a noticeable difference between 5wt and 7wt. I guess I'll have to give it a shot to find out.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Right I've heard that consensus too. Only reason I'm on a quest for 7wt is because I'm not diggin the ride at the moment and the only thing I haven't tried is to switch back from the fox 5wt to the Icon 7wt. I called Icon and they said their shocks are filled and tuned with 7wt ($55 a gallon). After realizing that ATF is 7wt also, I was thinking about giving that a shot. Some say there's a noticeable difference between 5wt and 7wt. I guess I'll have to give it a shot to find out.
I just read somewhere at king is 7wt? might be worth giving king a call to confirm
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
Exactly right, the red is for racing, meaning if you tear your shock down after every race its fine, if your just playing around just use the blue.

Same thing in motorcycles, in my play bikes I use the standard oil and only change it once per year, in my race bikes I change it after every race or two since it breaks down faster and honestly I cant really notice a night and day difference between the two oils, even the regular stuff doesnt seem to fade too badly when it heats up.

ATF is also often used (mobil1 ATF) I had a suspension guy in the past that would use nothing but that, but after I had a cartridge failure in my front forks I had them redone, shitty thing is i figured out my forks were bad just before a big nationals race with the big boys, had to use a friends bike and had to race a completely different class on a bone stock bike...I now use only suspension fluids in my forks, not ATF, not sure if it caused the failure, but dont want to find out either..
Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
mill72 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mill72's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 7wt oil..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRIDDICK3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stefan
RIDDICK3's Tacoma Gallery
where is the best place to buy the fox or king oil?