1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lots of Coilover Questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by JeremyGrey, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    JeremyGrey

JeremyGrey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TX Pro Prerunner
    I have searched on here a read up quite a bit. I couldnt get all of my questions answered though.

1.) What coilover is most smooth on and offroad?

2.) Does King make a OEM coilover without the reservoir for the 2005+?

3.) Does a coilover with external reservoir make the ride better vs. no reservoir?

4.) Do any of the major coilover companies offer a longer spring? I would like to level my truck without preloading the c/o's.

5.) I have already asked this question but would like more opinions. If I am just leveling with coilovers, do I need UCA?

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Go with kings

3. Jun 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    1. There isn't really one that is "the best" for on road and off road. It really depends on what fits in your budget. You can look for a C/O with a softer spring rate which will give you a smoother ride on road, but it might suffer off road...

2. I do not believe king makes an OEM C/O without the reservoir

3. The ride will be the same with or without reservoir. With the reservoir, the shock will have more fluid keeping it cooler preventing aeration, prevents shock fade, and prevent a loss of dampening.

4. Yes. Several major companies offer longer springs usually termed extended travel C/O.

5. If you are raising your truck by less than 2 inches, then UCA aren't really needed. Aftermarket UCA's help dial in your alignment, and increase down travel without the joint binding.

4. Jun 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. The one you have valved the lightest with the lightest springs that dont cause you go bottom out.
    2. For ither vehiles but not 05+ Tacoma
    3. No, it adds extra oil abd surface area to prevent iver heating and fade.
    4. Yes
    5. Need, no. Want, yes.

5. Jun 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Icon IMO seems to be the best valved "out of the box" eventhough I hate that expression! They designed them to be firm on road to help with body roll, cornering and keeping the truck more stable (especially w/o sway bar) but as soon as you get to dirt it's like the road becomes butter and pot holes, ruts, uneven dips get smoother the faster you go!

Any of the top brands (Icon, Fox, King) will do this ^^ and were designed for a happy medium between the two driving conditions. The nice thing is there's endless valving possibilities so you can dial your ride where you want it and re-build them when they wear out means you'll have them forever!

Come out with us anytime for a ride along! Out of the group we have Fox's, Kings, Icons and LT trucks that will blow your mind how smooth they all run and soon you'll be broke LOL.....there's an AZ section if you haven't already found it!

6. Jun 4, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    JeremyGrey

JeremyGrey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TX Pro Prerunner
    Tht would be awesome to feel the different brands before I buy them. Where do most of you guys live?

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 2:56 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    We're pretty much all over but seems most are in the east valley!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arizona/

We just had a run out by lake pleasant and was mostly high speed prerunner trails but we do it all! ;)

8. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    If you are planning on getting a high end C/O, know that some brands are digressive and some are progressive.

Progressive is as the rate of action of the shock increases, it will increase the stiffness and hampering strength. I believe Kings are progressive.

Digressive is they start out stiff then when the rate of action of the shock increases, they soften up. Icons are Digressive

Products Discussed in

To Top