Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Straighten me out on lift info (I have read the faq)

Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
Straighten me out on lift info (I have read the faq)

Hello everyone. First thing is first:

Truck:

06 Tacoma Extra Cab 4x4 v6 6 speed TRD Offroad package

Intended use for lift:

Casual offroad, progressing into regular wheeling (with some practice and finding new places)

Terrain:

I live in New England, so woods, mud, rocks, hills

Now I have read the faq on multiple sites, and I did as much research as I could. It is alot of info and I just want to make sure I understand it before I spend the money.

I have decided on coilovers for the front and AAL for the rear for a 3" lift with 33" wheels. Now as far as coilovers, I was thinking the toytec prebuilt coilovers http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

Why does everyone suggest the Icons/camburg and other brands as better coilovers? I read in one of the posts the toytec ones dont have as long of a travel? Is it worth the extra few hundred dollars to go with the icon?

Now since I am getting coilovers, I should get UCA's as well. Do I have to get the UCAs right away? If I invest the extra money in good COs and wheels and tires, can I wait a couple of months for UCAs?

In the end, I have a budget of $2000. Can someone post part by part some suggestions to get me in the right place? The faqs are out dated and there are new products that I dont know much about. I want to do this right, and I know you guys answer these questions all the time, but the info is so garbled and conflicting.

Lastly, just for clarification that I got it:

I dont want spacers if I am going to wheel
Coils are the springs that go over the shocks
Shocks are the cylinders that are gas filled
Coilovers come preassebled for ease of install and are adjustable
5100s are shocks
OME refers to toytec coils, with 2 different kinds

If any of that information is incorrect, please correct me. Thank you.

Dominik
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
OME refers to toytec coils, with 2 different kinds

If any of that information is incorrect, please correct me. Thank you.

Dominik
OME = Old Man Emu. Proven off road products.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
So ome is an actual brand. What kind of stuff do they make? Off to google i go =D
Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.oldmanemu.com/
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is this a serious question?
I guess so
Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriZonaD54 View Post
I guess so
HA! I was about to post that.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...33" wheels...
Dammmmmm
Old 07-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what lift to get and the pros and cons on all of them. A lot of people start out with the toytec 3" and are really happy with it. I've personally gone with the full OME set up myself, shocks, coils, and rear leaf springs.

Upper control arms become a necessity after 2.5-3" of lift due to your stock UCAs being unable to get the alignment within spec although some people are able to do it somehow. That being said, spending the extra on coilovers will not negate the fact that your alignment is off.

I spent a good 2 or 3 months reading and comparing different websites to find the lift and components that suited my needs for the price I wanted. Good luck on the search.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Get 5100's with Wheeler's 3 leaf AAL if you plan to just wheel 1-2 times a month. The ride and lift you get will be more than enough for moderate wheeling. Go for OME if you want more of a "tuned" suspension but not much more performance than 5100s. The Toytec Ultimate is really just fully adjustable 5100s. Use true coil-overs, like ICON and KING, if you want to hit the high speed bumps or run through the desert.

If you don't need coil-overs get 5100s. Use the other $1000+ to buy some nice tires and complete your new lifted setup!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Get some nice off road tires, find some locals that off road and start wheeling. Once you've started to really get into it and have an idea of what you want, think about upgrading your suspension. Your truck is already very capable for light off-roading.

If you really want to dive into the mods I would recommend:

17" wheels or spacers for the stockers
Nitto, Toyo, or BF Goodrich mud tires
Icon or King RR coilovers
Light racing or Total Chaos Upper control arms
Icon RR or King RR rear shocks
3" Deaver leaf pack
Tom woods drive shaft
diff breather mod (search button)

If you want to go even further I would recommend sliders, followed by steel bumpers, and a winch.

This will take you past your $2000 dollar mark, but if you do these mods you"ll have a solid build that will perform well on road, off road, and be reliable.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Quote:
Hello everyone.

I have decided on coilovers for the front and AAL for the rear for a 3" lift with 33" wheels. Now as far as coilovers, I was thinking the toytec prebuilt coilovers http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

I know this is typo, but it's 33" tires. giggle, giggle.

Why does everyone suggest the Icons/camburg and other brands as better coilovers? I read in one of the posts the toytec ones dont have as long of a travel? Is it worth the extra few hundred dollars to go with the icon? IMO, yes, I love mine. Plus they're rebuildable

Now since I am getting coilovers, I should get UCA's as well. Do I have to get the UCAs right away? If I invest the extra money in good COs and wheels and tires, can I wait a couple of months for UCAs?

People say they are they best because consumer experience has been great with these products. You can wait on UCA's. Just leave the coilovers set at 2" and you should be able to align it properly.

I dont want spacers if I am going to wheel you don't want them at all
Coils are the springs that go over the shocksyes
Shocks are the cylinders that are gas filledyes
Coilovers come preassebled for ease of install and are adjustable yes
5100s are shocks yes
OME refers to toytec coils, with 2 different kindsno, but already explained so I don't have to.

If any of that information is incorrect, please correct me. Thank you. you're welcome, hope this helps

Dominik
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #12

Yeah but tires are the most important part. He can skip rims, He just needs to get spacers because of fitment issues.

He can get coilovers, rear shocks, and tires for under $2000. A lot of people start with that.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #13

You should look for deals too. If you just walk into a store and say "I want this on my truck." You'll pay more than you have to. Especially if you don't know exactly what you are talking about. First, Internet shop, and figure out average prices. Then , start looking for the best deals. Group buys are a good way to things cheaper. At the very least check out the vendors on the forum. They have some pretty good deals.

IMO If you paid retail. You paid to much.

If you ever have any questions you can PM me and I'll try to hook you up the best I can.