1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME885s with 5100s or Nitrochargers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TRD6Speed, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed [OP] senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Okay so I searched first and foremost.......even an advanced search.....for me(caveman) thats like hacking. So hopefully I dont piss off the SEARCH FUNCTION people who dont like new threads.

So a little about the truck and me......access cab 2nd gen. I drive on almost all roads(im from connecticut wtf you want from me:eek:) but when find trails or chances to go offroading a little I do. Few and far between I still wanna be able to HANG on trails. Also....i just want a lifted taco:D!!!

The lift...........I want a full 3 inches( so does my GF but hey......we all cant get what we want).......so I picked up some 885s with 2xxx miles on em for 120 bux from the wonderful TW. Now I am a little stumped on what shocks to buy. I plan on getting the spacers and trim packer too from DSW once I make up my mind. UCAs are on the list too.....Kinda just collecting parts as I get cash to fund it.

Can anyone tell me if the 5100s or Nitros will better suit me? Do the bilsteins ride better on road vs Nitros off road? Are they so close I wont be able to tell. I know the NItros are paired with the OME but I think the 5100s are cheaper and I am trying to save a buck if I can but not suffer quality.

Help me out guys and steer me in the right direction!!!!

2. Jun 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I don't think you'll be able to tell. I'm running 885s with bilsteins @ 0 and I love the ride, I couldn't tell you about the nitros. On a side note you should do only the 885s first without the top plates, since you are an access cab you might get the full 3" from the 885s alone & if need be add the top plates if you don't like the stance.

3. Jun 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    knine00

knine00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudsonville, Mi
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    Stock for now
    /\......I second that! I am running the same setup without a top plate! Love the ride!

4. Jun 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    What do you guys have in the back? I kinda like the slight factory rake so I was hoping to keep it.....just 3 inches higher all around. Was planning on running either dakars or expos to achieve it. Prob run 275 tires at most. dont wanna chop anything or trim if possible.

5. Jun 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    knine00

knine00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudsonville, Mi
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    Stock for now

I am running billy 5125's and icon 3 leaf Progressive setup. Its a bit higher then in the back but not by much. Great ride

6. Jun 7, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Don't do the expos unless you will be towing & adding weight in the bed, dakars are what you are looking for.

7. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Okay......ya.....minimal towing if at all really.....and prob wont have weight in it much either except here and there.......might get a cap someday but not soon?

I dont have the tsb done so would I be able to do the ICON progressive? I heard even dakars might be a little stiff for what im looking for. Considering I drive it on road almost 100% also I really do wanna keep a nice ride for trips and whatnot.

DO I even need the 5100 adj shocks up front if I am using the OME coils for lifting? or can i just get the regular 5100s?

And do I need 5125s for the rear if I do get a 3leaf progressive/dakars?

THanks for all the help thus far guys.:)

8. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    I don't think you have a choice. I believe that all the 5100 struts are adjustable. Doesn't mean you have to set them any higher then 0 though

9. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    If you are getting lift coils, there is no need to get 5100s, which are generally meant for leveling/lifting with stock coils. You'd need to leave them on zero. You can't (or rather shouldn't) use the leveling feature of the 5100s with stronger aftermarket coils, which put more pressure on the perches than the 5100s were designed for (but apparently some people still do it.

You may as well get OME nitrochargers for the front. They are engineered to match the spring rate of the OME coils and will give you an optimal ride. They are a little more expensive, but it's only money.

10. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    I think there are 5100 non adj as well.....I'll have to look again but I think I saw them on Autoanything and maybe even on DSM too but dont hold me to it.

I think for all 4 its about 150bux difference between 4 billies or 4 nitros give or take.......not sure. Im pretty sure I would need longer shocks with the OME coils. NOt totally sure but I think the stock shocks arent long enough:confused: to be paired witht the lift coils I have (885s). I pretty much just gotta fig out the REAL numbers I guess. Its just such a good deal for the 5100s at DSM its hard to resist.

11. Jun 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I would just get the Nitros with the 885's. That's what I did when I lifted my truck and have no complaints. They mounted up nice and the ride is great.

I did do the lift spacers on my lift as well and it did make the front end a little high. I'm contemplating the idea of taking them off but I don't feel like paying a shop to re-align the front end....

12. Jun 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    What did you do in the back? AAL or leaf pack? Did you go with nitros on all 4 or just front? Thanks for heads up. I def dont want a nose high truck......if its level Im ok with that.......ideally i want to keep a slight rake and get the max lift I can.

13. Jun 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If you get 885s with the Dakars you'll have an almost stock looking rake, it will be off by about 1/4" from stock.

14. Jun 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Im assuming without the 1/4 spacers up front also? The only thing i want to avoid is a nose high truck. If I still have the rake cool....if not level is ok too.

I gotta do some searching and find someone with an access cab with the OME/dakar setup(with spacers) see how it sits......Its not happening real soon but I have the coils. Almost ready to pull the trigger on the shocks..........still got get ching for dakars/other option and UCAs. Still just gathering parts and knowledge.

I appreciate everyones help very much!:)

15. Jun 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I did nitros all around. Dakar leaf pack in the back, I hate AAL's.

There is very little rake but the Dakars carry a lot of weight before sagging so they're not too bad. The issue I am having is that I have more driver's side lean than I used to have at stock height. I am planning on taking the trim packer off the passenger side to see if it evens out.

16. Jun 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Am I reading right? you have a trim packer on the right? I thought they had 1/4 inch spacers (for both) and the trim packer is only for the left (to correct the taco lean). It probably gets more noticable with the lift.....? Im only speculating.

I just wanna make sure I do it right once........Im hoping to put it on myself once I acquire all the parts. God only knows what a dealership will charge me......maybe a decent shop wouldnt bend me over on price but living up here in CT its hard to come by a good shop.

17. Jun 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    ^ This. If I could do it again I'd go with the nitros. Only reason I went with the bilsteins is because I got a great deal on them.

18. Jun 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X3. The OME shocks will give the best ride.

19. Jun 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Ok........guess the verdict is in......saving up to do it right. OME nitros it is. TIme to pick up a few side jobs and get this pony rolling.

Once again thanks for everyones input.......I know where to go when I need help making a decision for the truck(and how to spend any extra cash I will ever have)......:D

20. Jun 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    RattleSnake44

RattleSnake44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB PreRunner TRD Offroad
    OME 3" Lift, Dakar Leaf Packs, ARB Front Bumper, Warn M8000 winch
    Just to reinforce your decision...
    OME 885s with a Dakar pack in the rear, Nitrochargers front and back. ARB bumper with a Warn M8000 winch.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339258576.577556.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339258590.663259.jpg
    Kept the factory rake (which I like), and added about 3" all around.

Products Discussed in

To Top