Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front end growl after 5100s goes away over bumps, will dif drop help?

Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
nvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to behold
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Front end growl after 5100s goes away over bumps, will dif drop help?

Installed 5100s front at .85 orig
coils, got that growling noise others have gotten for the front end which goes away in 4wd, BUT it also goes silent over those large speed bumps when the truck front end has the weight off it for a couple seconds. The sound then returns when the truck is flat on level ground with normal front end weight.
My question is will the dif drop help remove that growl grind sound based on my comments above? Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
At 0.85, you shouldn't really haven't any issues with your CV joints binding or grinding. I haven't heard of this issue before.

I would double check that the sway bar isn't contacting anything, and that your coils and struts are correctly installed. The spring seat is easy to install upside down...
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html

you've read this thread? ECGS replacement bushing might be the fix for you

Chase at East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS) has presented promising news about a possible fix for this vibration issue using a bushing that replaces the needle bearing in the front diff. Skip to page 4 of this thread and read on. Check out East Coast Gear Supply on Facebook for updates on the new bushing fix!! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Eas...ly/21641121597
Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
nvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to behold
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
At 0.85, you shouldn't really haven't any issues with your CV joints binding or grinding. I haven't heard of this issue before.

I would double check that the sway bar isn't contacting anything, and that your coils and struts are correctly installed. The spring seat is easy to install upside down...

Checked both the sway bar and the coils and struts are inst. right.
This growling noise can be felt through the pedal. The sound is kind of like when your tire treads get really low, but only louder. My tires are 70% remaining.

Could alignment issues be making the sound? My #'s were not very good, after they tried a re-alignment after the 1st. #'s weren't good.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I'd get a good alignment. What were your numbers?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html

you've read this thread? ECGS replacement bushing might be the fix for you

Chase at East Coast Gear Supply (ECGS) has presented promising news about a possible fix for this vibration issue using a bushing that replaces the needle bearing in the front diff. Skip to page 4 of this thread and read on. Check out East Coast Gear Supply on Facebook for updates on the new bushing fix!! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Eas...ly/21641121597
Thanks I have read through there. Didn't want to the the effort yet of doing the bearing replacement. I thought since the sound went away when the weight was off of the front of the truck when going over the speed hump (the wider type than speed bump) and then came back once over the hump It would be less of a fix.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Get an alignment.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtaco View Post
Thanks I have read through there. Didn't want to the the effort yet of doing the bearing replacement. I thought since the sound went away when the weight was off of the front of the truck when going over the speed hump (the wider type than speed bump) and then came back once over the hump It would be less of a fix.
did u see the videos? I'm not a tech or anything but the amount of "play" that's in the cv shaft might cause the growl to temporarily go away when u go over the bump cause its lining back up so to speak....

http://youtu.be/x4qw5GtfoRc
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Yes, I'd get a good alignment. What were your numbers?
Here's the 2nd alingment, which is current. The first made the driving squirrely. I have to say at with these #'s the truck still wanders and follows the ruts in the roads, just not jumpy. These are the #'s at which I am getting the growling.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
did u see the videos? I'm not a tech or anything but the amount of "play" that's in the cv shaft might cause the growl to temporarily go away when u go over the bump cause its lining back up so to speak....

http://youtu.be/x4qw5GtfoRc
Just watched 3 of them. Thank you. I think you're right about the "play" issue after watching the dial runout indicator. Before I do that fix though, I think I would try the dif drop...don't know if that will work, less invasive to start though.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel bearing?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Was cruising through other posts and someone who had a similar problem was asked if the cv joints/axle were pulled on or moved around. I have to admit, when I took the old struts out and I put the new strut assemblys in there the Drivers Side CV axle felt as though I had "pulled it out" or "away" from the differential. All I did was move the axle around a little and then shove it back towards the diff and everything was fine.
Is there a certain way to check if the cv joint is positioned correctly?
This could be where the noise is from?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Wheel bearing?
I dont quite know, the sound goes away when I switch over to 4x4 instantly. After reading the bearing sound thread I ruled out the wheel bearing(s).
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
fdb03taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
fdb03taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtaco View Post
Was cruising through other posts and someone who had a similar problem was asked if the cv joints/axle were pulled on or moved around. I have to admit, when I took the old struts out and I put the new strut assemblys in there the Drivers Side CV axle felt as though I had "pulled it out" or "away" from the differential. All I did was move the axle around a little and then shove it back towards the diff and everything was fine.
Is there a certain way to check if the cv joint is positioned correctly?
This could be where the noise is from?
Long time lurker here.

I've got this same exact problem with my 03 TRD 4wd since installing Bilstein 5100 series shock on the tallest setting. The rear is stock height and the front is ~2" taller than stock. The rotational hum goes away when 4wd is engaged.

I was pretty convinced that it was something with the diff, but that post has convinced me to check my front axles. I will check them this week/weekend.

Also, I've got the diff drop installed too. That did not help the issue.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drop on 2nd gen will do more harm then help.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Diff drop on 2nd gen will do more harm then help.
I have to hear the reasoning behind this comment? Is it not good to drop the diff and get the angles back to stockish... I understand for wheeling it may not be good but for the sale of conversation street truck only.. how come?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicetaco View Post
I have to hear the reasoning behind this comment? Is it not good to drop the diff and get the angles back to stockish... I understand for wheeling it may not be good but for the sale of conversation street truck only.. how come?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Holy F$&k..... Even if I am just on the street that changed my mind I think!