Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What shocks with AP expos?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
What shocks with AP expos?

Hello, just wanted to see what shocks those of you with allpro expos or standard leafs are running. Spoke with allpro and got their recommendation but thought id search around here and see what others recommend. I have Icons up front and was thinking the icon 2.5's but they are for a 0-2inch lift and the standard all pros give 3 inches of lift?
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Measure your pack from shock mount to mount.....most of us are about 16-27". The RCD 5100s DSM sells are perfect but I'm saving for the 2.5" icons in the mean time. DSM has custom length icons and kings for "lifted" applications and are close to the needed lengths but they're custom order and think they charge $200.....so your looking at $1,000?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Measure your pack from shock mount to mount.....most of us are about 16-27". The RCD 5100s DSM sells are perfect but I'm saving for the 2.5" icons in the mean time. DSM has custom length icons and kings for "lifted" applications and are close to the needed lengths but they're custom order and think they charge $200.....so your looking at $1,000?
I was really thinking about the 2.5 icons but looks like they might limit the travel by about a inch I like the idea of a custom length shock. I already rebuilt my rear back and have 5100's but really looking to upgrade my rear suspension but don't want to chop up the bed.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrom View Post
I was really thinking about the 2.5 icons but looks like they might limit the travel by about a inch I like the idea of a custom length shock. I already rebuilt my rear back and have 5100's but really looking to upgrade my rear suspension but don't want to chop up the bed.
Thanks for the replies.
Yup, that's where I'm at too! Marco will hook you up! When you find out more let me know!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
buggin is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
buggin's Tacoma Gallery
What was their reccomendation?

I am seriously looking at getting the expo + fox kit that they sell. Is there a reason that you dont eant the kit? I figure all pro is going to put together a kit that is going to bolt on.

I have a shell and plan on camping and 4x4ing with gear in the back. My only concern is having a stiff ride.while.the truck is empty and on the road.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggin View Post
What was their reccomendation?

I am seriously looking at getting the expo + fox kit that they sell. Is there a reason that you dont eant the kit? I figure all pro is going to put together a kit that is going to bolt on.

I have a shell and plan on camping and 4x4ing with gear in the back. My only concern is having a stiff ride.while.the truck is empty and on the road.
AP's kit it great but I believe the shocks are on the shorter end and will prevent "some" flex! It's hard to find a shock that's long enough but one that's also short enough to not bottom out at bump! AP's full kit is top notch and the Fox's have the compression adjusters so you can set them to your liking!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #8

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Basically what mike said above. Also I was trying to find a 2.5 inch shock if possible.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
arlypoo is on a distinguished road

Army: LdSH(RC)
Name: Arlin
arlypoo's Tacoma Gallery
I don't find the ride to be stiff at all. Mind you im used to early 80s mini trucks and landcruisers so my opinion may not count.

I'm running a bilstein 5100 I found on their website based on my measurements, and they do not prevent flex at all.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
I just contacted DSM about this same issue today, I currently have King's OE rear shocks, went to All Pro Expo Leaf Pack and now the shocks have become the limiting factor ( along with the brake lines and ABS wire sensor; but I ordered new AP lines and got more slack on the ABS line ) DSM quoted me a bit under $1k for rear shocks OE bolt in but custom built to whatever length I need. Pretty hefty price, but I'm already running kings up front, so not sure if I want to mix/match. If i go Fox then I'd want to swap all of them out to Fox.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #11

Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply, let us know what you decide.
Thanks.