Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

strut assembly boot and retainer moves freely?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
iiFlynRyan is on a distinguished road
iiFlynRyan's Tacoma Gallery
Question strut assembly boot and retainer moves freely?

I just put on some OME 882 coils and OME 90004 struts and they rode great for a few days, but then I started hearing a concerning clunking on every bump from the front right. I pulled off my wheel and think the sound it coming from the boot and inner retainer on my strut assembly. They both move freely when the weight of my truck is off them. Is this normal?

I'm a noob and this is my first time working on my suspension and I couldn't find any information regarding this, probably because its common sense.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Can you take a picture of what you mean by "inner retainer"?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
iiFlynRyan is on a distinguished road
iiFlynRyan's Tacoma Gallery

hope this helps
both these parts within the coil move freely
Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, the plastic shield shouldn't really move freely, but it isn't really damaging anything by doing so. Hopefully something with the OMEs will chime in.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I am guessing the centering washers were not installed correctly when you put the strut hat on, therefore the dust boot isn't getting the clamping pressure.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Did these washers come out when you disassembled the stock strut?

Attached Thumbnails
strut assembly boot and retainer moves freely?-p7240005_mod.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
And I think your spring perch is installed upside down, going by this Wheeler's photo as a reference: http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/omecoil.JPG