1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got my alignment done after 2" lift...WTF???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by billygoat, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    I just installed OM

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  2. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    "The old fashion way"
    When i got mine done they used a digital system with cameras attached to the hub, not the wheel. Then they can spec everything to be almost perfect. Shouldnt need to replace uca's with 2'' lift. Id goto Toyota to get it done or another place with digital readings.

3. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Even with 2" of lift, you'll have a tough time getting caster into spec without aftermarket UCAs. It can be done, but it's uncommon.

4. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    "Toe and go" is usally what they do when they don't give you a printout!

Take it back and tell them you want it done right and to your spec's!

5. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I called them and they said they didn't write down the original specs, but said that the adjustments are maxed out and they did the best they could. I just crawled under the truck and the cams on the lower control arms have not been touched...one benefit of getting mud on them I suppose. I even told them when I brought it in that the camber and caster needed adjustment because of the lift. I cannot find an honest mechanic for the life of me. I made and appt with another shop that was recommended to me, I called and the guy seemed very knowledgeable and has done about 5 lifted 2nd gen Tacomas in the last few months, and thinks he can do a better job...and it's only $25 if he can't. If the truck comes back with better specs tomorrow, I'm reporting the first shop to the BBB. I am seriously sick of dishonest mechanics.

6. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    my caster sucks but I never have any problems. My Toe and camber are within specs. No unusual wear on my nitto's

7. Jun 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Hit up your local Firestone and get the lifetime alignment. It costs like $150 where one alignment costs $70. You get three alignments and it's paid for itself. The alignments go for as long as you own the vehicle.

I installed my own Billy 5100s set at 0" with OME 885 coils giving me about 2"-2.5" lift on the front and got it aligned no problem.

8. Jun 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM
    FBGW01

FBGW01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleb
    East Mesa AZ
    check my build
    i think my local alignment shop screwed me over too! i never got a sheet telling me my details on the alignment! and it looks almost noticable that the driverside front tire camber is not right! idk if i should go back on and ask for the sheet with alignment specs?

9. Jun 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    toytaco11

toytaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD 4x4 lwb doublecab
    coming soon!
    yup, I have the lifetime with Firestone as I did with my Tundra which was lifted and never had issues. It's worth $150.00 for the lifetime alignments and I've taken it in at least twice a year no questions asked as long as you own the vehicle.

10. Jun 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    i went with the firestone lifetime alignment as well. they let me go back with the tech. i maxed out the lower adjustments to give me max clearance on the cab mount. and he adjusted my light racing uca's to hit the numbers i give him perfect.

11. Jun 14, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    After a horrible experience with a local shop I took my truck to my local dealer (who I normally can't stand) and they actually got it in spec before I could blink.

Local shop told me they couldn't get it in spec because the LCA cam was seized even though I had the LR UCAs. The dealer tech got it within 0.1 degrees of camber spec and the rest are in spec.

It's such a small amount that the tires probably won't wear funny and even then, they are mud tires. They're going to wear funny and make a bunch of noise regardless.

12. Jun 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    FBGW01

FBGW01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleb
    East Mesa AZ
    check my build
    Firestone wont let u if u have an "aftermarket suspension set-up" only if its stock they will do the life time:(

13. Jun 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    This. With 884s and stock UCAs my alignment sucked, that was without a top plate too.

14. Jun 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    My truck in the shop now getting an alignment, I just put some TC UCAs on. With the stock UCAs and just the lift the truck would wonder but the shop said the alignment was good. This time around I asked them for before and after spec sheet. Let's see how this goes.

15. Jun 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I just got back from the second shop and they said that the camber on these trucks is supposed to be close to 1 degree positive for even tire wear. Is that right? I have never heard of this before and can't find the factory specs online.

16. Jun 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    my alignment sheet says factory specs is from -0.3 to 1.2 .

17. Jun 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    They just called mine is finish and they printed out the before and after spec for me I will post my numbers.:)

18. Jun 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    thats not true at all! did they say that? i have the liftime alignment and just had it done again

19. Jun 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    1* camber is probably okay if you're a slouch (not you, them) but 0* is optimal. If that's the best they can do then it might just be, but thats certainly not the best setting, so they shouldn't tell you that.

IMO ideal specs (though not the toyota range of acceptable specs)
    0* camber
    0* or like 1/32" toe
    ~2.5* caster

Camber shouldn't affect cupping really, it should really only affect the outside of the tread. Some people say to add a little positive caster to HD trucks because then when you load them they'll sit about 0* but certainly this shouldn't apply to our trucks, so like I said 0* camber ideal.

Toyota says

Camber -.3 to 1.2
    Caster 1.3 to 2.8
    Toe -.04 to .07

I hate when toe isn't in inches.

20. Jun 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA