Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Replacing Icon Coilovers with Bilstein 5100's?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
mxracer250f is on a distinguished road
mxracer250f's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing Icon Coilovers with Bilstein 5100's?

I've had ICON Coilovers on my 2008 Tacoma w/285 tires for a few years now, and have become increasingly unhappy with the ride quality. From day one it was very harsh and has only gotten worse with time. I now feel every single bump and crack in the road, probably my fault for getting performance offroad coilovers in the first place.

I'm looking to replace the current front suspension with something much softer that will provide the same lifting due to my tire size. I was looking at Bilstein 5100's with Old Man Emu coils as they sound like the softest setup. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good idea, or if there are cheaper or better options available to me?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
you can try taking out some preload or getting softer springs. What psi are you running in your tires? try taking it down to around 35 psi?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How 'bout taking out some of the low speed dampening? That would make the ride MUCH better.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
mxracer250f is on a distinguished road
mxracer250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
How 'bout taking out some of the low speed dampening? That would make the ride MUCH better.
Interesting, how would I go about doing that? I installed the CO's myself when I bought them but do not recall whether they have any adjustments on them besides lifting.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer250f View Post
Interesting, how would I go about doing that? I installed the CO's myself when I bought them but do not recall whether they have any adjustments on them besides lifting.
You can send them to DSM, or watch a few youtube vids on how to do it yourself.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Rebuild them, perhaps adjusting the valving a bit, and take a little preload off the springs.

Part of your issue may be having gone with digressively valved units. They trade on-road ride for better rut-running offroad. They do better on big hits (potholes, speedbumps, pedestrians) the faster you go, but make smaller stuff (road imperfections, cracks, baby squirrels) more jittery.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously you should do what they said ^^ and try and work with what you've got.

But if you do decide to go with billys and OME springs, I recommend it. They ride great and I couldn't be happier with the set up.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can send them to DSM, or watch a few youtube vids on how to do it yourself.
Talk to DSM. From what I understand, you can get coils to pair with the Icons with several different spring rates (not sure which ones you have). Otherwise, I'd do what Chris suggested and get them revalved. Since you already own the Icons, I wouldn't downgrade to 5100's. The Icons should ride MUCH better than the 5100's once you get the valving right for your needs.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I freaking love mine on the road......how much pre-load did you add? I think mine are butter compared to toytecs set at 2.5" lift!

5100's also have digressive valving so they'll be similar!