Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Problem With New Lift

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Problem With New Lift

I just put on a set of alcans with 1"of lift and 300lbs over stock carrying capacityalong with some bilstein 5100s. It rides much better than before but when I got under it today the bilsteins look almost fully compressed and the leafs have very little arch, almost none. I really have no clue what to do. I'm going to call alcan tomorrow, any suggestions.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately, Alcan has had a bad rap lately for sagging brand new! They'reremedy has been to add thicker/stiff leafs to the bottom leafs but you should ask foryour $$ back as you’re not the first and deff not the last!

Sorry to hear about that man!

Also, those look like the longer RCD 5100's and may bottom out before the springs do.....did you check compressed lengths? May be why they have so little compression left but have a good amount of droop?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that sucks, I researched but didn't see anything.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
No its the right shock, f4-be5-d560-t0
Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #5

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Called alcan waiting to hear back from them.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Dude... those really do look like the extended 5100s meant for ~4" of lift. Just saying.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Not according to the part number. I called toytec today and they said that with am 1"lift they would be compressed. But I don't think the leafs should be almost flat.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah those leafs are f'd - need to get your money back
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #9

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
So I talked to Bill at alcan today, he said that it was normal, anyone have any pictures? It turns out there was confusion and the made the springs to stock height. So the shock on the drivers side is too long. But if you guys are saying they look bad I guess I'll give them a call Monday. I know tacoma springs don't have much arch to them to begin with.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Those dont look like they gave any lift at all. What is the rear height?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I wont even try to address the spring issue but your shocks are upside down & the shocks are side specific, longer shock goes to pass. side /shorter shock to driverside....
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #12

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Those dont look like they gave any lift at all. What is the rear height?

Sorry there was confusion with Alcan, they are at stock height, they gave me about an 1" lift due to sagging springs, they sit at about 36"+ or so now.

Ill get a better pic tomorrow with the wheel off.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I wont even try to address the spring issue but your shocks are upside down & the shocks are side specific, longer shock goes to pass. side /shorter shock to driverside....
The shocks are in correct orientation. If the words are right side up, so are the shocks. Ive thought the same as you until i contacted Bilstien about it.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The shocks are in correct orientation. If the words are right side up, so are the shocks. Ive thought the same as you until i contacted Bilstien about it.
Thats what I thought too but read that somewhere.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Funny you mentioned that Chris, when I contacted Bilstein they told me just the opposite......

But like others I installed my 5100's like my old ones were (boot up) so hell I don't think it matters one way or another operation wise...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
See this is what I mean about the confusion.. if you look at the stickers on shocks , they are upside down even tho' the shock is mounted in what would be considered a "correct" manner...

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #17

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I was confused at first cause I've seen it both ways.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
I was confused at first cause I've seen it both ways.

Yeah it won't matter 2 shits performance wise (upside down.downside up)

just make sure the correct shock is on the correct side
Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #19

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
they're both the same.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
they're both the same.

1st gen ?? they're side specific, or do you mean that your 5100's are the same length ??