Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Are you happy with your 5100 shocks on stock coils?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your 5100 shocks on stock coils?
Rides to stiff 4 8.89%
Not much difference in ride quality 6 13.33%
Wish I had bought new coils / shock setup (ex - OME, Eibach etc.) 4 8.89%
Love the ride 28 62.22%
Wish I stayed stock 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
REDRIDER98999 is on a distinguished road

REDRIDER98999's Tacoma Gallery
Are you happy with your 5100 shocks on stock coils?

I just want to get a feel for the difference in ride quality with the 5100's. This truck is my DD and I do just a little offroading. (trail riding mostly no rock crawling)

I know must of you guys/gals here are avid offroaders so the ride quality on the street might not be that big of deal to you, but I like the way the truck rides now and I do want to get a small lift to make my truck look different. I know I will have to sacrifice a little ride quality to get a lift - I just don't want it to be night and day compared to stock.

I don't want customers riding in my truck and saying how bad the ride is.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is 95% street. I have my 5100s set at 1.75". If I were to do it again I would probably switch to OME coils and shocks. It rides fine as it is but I think it would be a little smoother. It's not stiff but it seems to be a bit more bouncy if that makes sense.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
spins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspins615 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
spins615's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD sport..and set mine up last week with the shocks set at 2.5 and i think it rides pretty damn good. I've only had it lifted for a week now (i know..i need to upload pictures of her ) but love it put over 300 miles on her sunday night all highway and she rode like a champ.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
There's a few variables u need to take into consideration also.......

1. The trd offroad does not take well to preloading the coils (which the 5100 does in order to achieve lift) they have progressive coils and get stiffer when compressed/cycled.

If people vote "I love the ride" u should check and see if they are trd sports or SR5....Those BOTH have linear coils and take preloading "better".

2. U should have them mention the height they chose to lift the truck.......
Preloading to achieve 0.85 (the lowest "lift" setting besides stock height) shouldn't......that's SHOULDN'T be as harsh of a ride as a preloaded set to 2.5" off lift.

Again this will be more apparent on the trd offroad more than the sport and sr5.

Been awake for 30 minutes now, maybe I missed another detail....im sure someone else will chime in.

That being said, I can't speak for the 5100s alone......mine are paired with eibachs and set at "zero lift"...I love the ride, but again that's my setup and that's a pretty subjective description I suppose.

How well does the TRD off road take to setting the 5100's at 0 on stock coils. that's what I plan on doing, but hope the ride doesn't suffer.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport....1.75, rides better than stock!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
SpeedStar is on a distinguished road
SpeedStar's Tacoma Gallery
Same here, TRD Sport, 1.75" and I think it rides better than stock too. I do wonder if it would have been even better though with Eibach or OME coils at 0 setting though.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
CSanders is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
CSanders's Tacoma Gallery
Now that I solved my issue with them, they are amazing. I have a 2007 pre runner non progressive springs. 5100s set at 1.75" rides very nice. make sure that when you get them installed they put your spring seat on the right way that why mine was riding so harsh and lifted so high! its a very easy install so if you have jack stands, floor jack, and the required hand tools might be better off doing it yourself. Like I always say, want it done right gotta do it yourself!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '12 off road with 5100s set at 1.75 and I prefer the way my truck rides over stock. It's just slightly rougher on poorly maintained backroads, but the cornering,braking, and highway ride is much better. I drove mine for one day with just the front shocks and wouldn't recommend it though. With the stiffer 5100s on the front, the rear end felt loose and a little sloppy with the stock shocks.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
It's a great ride at factory level, I didn't like them set at 2.5 so I bought coils and fell back in love.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
'11 AC SR5 4x4 with 5100's at 1.75" in stock coils here. I think it's a much better ride than all stock--particularly in cornering. The one thing I will say is that I did the 5100's (all around) first, then the rear leaf TSB. The ride really stiffened up more with the new leafs and rear Billies so it's definitely harsher on mid-rough surfaces like rocky roads. Great on the big lumps and bumps though. I also carry a heavy cap and gear box in the bed all the time so the rears are somewhat 'pre-stressed' before I even hit a bump.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #12

Thanks for all the replies I think I will try the 1.75 with a 1.5 3 leaf pack. I would like to keep the factory rake.

Any suggestion on either the wheelers or the icon pack, or are they pretty similar.

I have one more dumb question - Is there a coil out there that has the same rating as the stock coils( I think #540) compared to the Eibach(#620) and the 884(#580 I think)

If I got a coil that adds 2 inches of height with 5100 at 0 with the the same #540 rating as stock wouldn't the ride be smoother than a higher rating coil.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
nvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to behold
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
07dbl cab trd sport .85 - 5100s on all fours with stock coils. Too rough a city ride for me, potholes etc thump. Truck does handle like a car though. I am thinking of getting one coils.
Rear is tsb leaf pack which is shot. I have added airlift airbags, awesome I should have done it when I got the truck.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRIDER98999 View Post
Thanks for all the replies I think I will try the 1.75 with a 1.5 3 leaf pack. I would like to keep the factory rake.

Any suggestion on either the wheelers or the icon pack, or are they pretty similar.

I have one more dumb question - Is there a coil out there that has the same rating as the stock coils( I think #540) compared to the Eibach(#620) and the 884(#580 I think)

If I got a coil that adds 2 inches of height with 5100 at 0 with the the same #540 rating as stock wouldn't the ride be smoother than a higher rating coil.
What did you end up doing? (if you've done anything yet) I am thinking about the same thing.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
jordanmcqueen is on a distinguished road
Name: jordan
jordanmcqueen's Tacoma Gallery
hey! what brand of lift did you end up putting on your truck? im loving the smooth ride of my 05 sport, but would like a 2.5 lift with some bigger tires. i drive 60 miles highway per day and dont want to be bouncing the entire time. if you have brands and prices that would be a huge help. thanks
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100s all around with stock coils at 0.85" with the Taco Lean spacer and TSB leafs in back. The gap between the wheel wells and the stock tire is about 7" in front and 8" in the back unloaded. I like the slightly-raked look.
My impression is that they are a little better over the sharp-edged bumps in front and don't wallow quite as much in the back.
Of course when you spend $300 you are always subject to thinking it is better no matter what, but it really doesn't matter at this point. I am happy.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
dhutch is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
dhutch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRIDER98999 View Post
I just want to get a feel for the difference in ride quality with the 5100's. This truck is my DD and I do just a little offroading. (trail riding mostly no rock crawling)

I know must of you guys/gals here are avid offroaders so the ride quality on the street might not be that big of deal to you, but I like the way the truck rides now and I do want to get a small lift to make my truck look different. I know I will have to sacrifice a little ride quality to get a lift - I just don't want it to be night and day compared to stock.

I don't want customers riding in my truck and saying how bad the ride is.
Installed the 5100's over my stock coils and added the 2" AAL's in the rear. LOVE IT... My truck is my daily driver and I don't see that much difference in the ride on the highway/roads. Having said that, was out on the trails the other day (nothing drastic just dirt horse trails) but noticed the ride to be a bit stiffer.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutch View Post
Installed the 5100's over my stock coils and added the 2" AAL's in the rear. LOVE IT... My truck is my daily driver and I don't see that much difference in the ride on the highway/roads. Having said that, was out on the trails the other day (nothing drastic just dirt horse trails) but noticed the ride to be a bit stiffer.
Did you set them at 1.75 and what AAL did you use?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
What did you end up doing? (if you've done anything yet) I am thinking about the same thing.
I haven't done anything yet, still deciding if I want get the 884 coils or just do the 5100's at 1.75. What ever I do I think I will be getting the wheelers 1.5 leaf pack in back or just a 1 inch block to keep some rake. I will post picks when I do it.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
Badger12 is on a distinguished road
Badger12's Tacoma Gallery
Have the 5100's all the way around on my TRD Off Road 2012. Stock coils, LOVE IT.