Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1st Gen - Wheelers 5-Pack - AAL options to mimic Expos?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen - Wheelers 5-Pack - AAL options to mimic Expos?

So i'm looking at stepping up from my 881/5100's to Eibach 650lb/5100's.

I've got about 12k miles on a new set of Wheelers (alcan) 5-Pack's from a previous group buy.

I'm looking to buy an AAL set to mimic All-Pro's Expo pack carrying capacity and lift height. I run a topper ~8 months of the year and haul a decent amount to the trails etc with or without the topper. I'll have homegrown plate bumpers ideally before 2013.

Please to help. I've gotten mixed responses from Wheelers in the past on which AAL set to buy, looking to see what fellow TW'ers are running/liking, pics appreciated.

How it sits today.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same exact question!

Just got my 5 pack with the last GB and already I'm seeing a need for a bit more weight capacity. Also, despite the 1" shackle, the ass end is still sitting nearly an inch lower than the front (881s & Nitro Charger sports & 10mm spacer)

I'v only heard of Blackdawg adding an AAL to the 5-pack, think he used the Wheelers one.

subbed for some more info!!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
mph405 is on a distinguished road
mph405's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be adding the 1.5 to my 5 pack thjs weekend. Rear sits an inch low with 881s/Nitrochargers up front. Standard cab, 2.7L. Will report back.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I would sell them and maybe look into Dakars with D6XL...ask Box Rocket he swears by it.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
mph405's Tacoma Gallery
Did the 1.5 AAL today. Gave exactly 1.5" lift. Can't comment on ride yet.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
mph405's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
do you think that with the xtra weight of a DC and a Topper will bring that lift down? How stiff/sturdy is the AAL? I'm really looking for about 1" more lift

I think that each truck/model/package/constant weight carried, is going to be a little different, and will have to be tuned accordingly.

My particular truck: 1996 Standard cab, 2.7L

I was sitting an inch low in the back after installing OME 881/Nitrocharger front w/ no spacers, and the Wheeler's 5-pack in the rear.

Now, I am sitting 3/4" high in the rear after adding the AAL. It may, or may not settle a little bit.....

Gent at Wheeler's said that once the rear raises to a point, it starts to transfer weight back to the front.

I took before and after measurements with about 60 extra pounds in the rear, which is what I have in there full time...

The leaf seems sturdy enough, about the standard leaf thickness, with a bit more arch to it.

The newer trucks have a longer leaf pack, no? May have some effect on lift, ride, etc.

If I was to do an AAL again, I would just remove the whole pack, and install while not on the truck. Doing the AAL, was harder than just replacing the whole pack... For me.