Notices

5100's Installed.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
5100's Installed.

Is this looking right? I've done shock and spring combo's on my previous cars and they settled fairly quick. These were so flippin stiff that my spring compressors pulled threads and started to crack! The picture is the next morning after install and have settled maybe half an inch.

I set the clip at the lowest setting. Checked and double checked the paper that came with them to make sure we didn't have it backwards. The ride so far is absolutely amazing compared to the stockers.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI4x4Toy View Post
Is this looking right? I've done shock and spring combo's on my previous cars and they settled fairly quick. These were so flippin stiff that my spring compressors pulled threads and started to crack! The picture is the next morning after install and have settled maybe half an inch.

I set the clip at the lowest setting. Checked and double checked the paper that came with them to make sure we didn't have it backwards. The ride so far is absolutely amazing compared to the stockers.
If it is on the lowest setting, meaning zero lift, you have something wrong. If it's the stock springs, I am willing to bet the spring perch is up side down.
Is the little retainer clip showing when all installed? It should not be showing when complete.
Take a picture and post it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
shweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant future

shweller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
If it is on the lowest setting, meaning zero lift, you have something wrong. If it's the stock springs, I am willing to bet the spring perch is up side down.
Is the little retainer clip showing when all installed? It should not be showing when complete.
Take a picture and post it.
X2 Bro Lean to the max!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
The slowest build EVER!!

I'm almost certain we put the springs on just how they came off the stock shocks.

Part #

Using stock springs right now. Wanted to do shocks and keep at stock level until I could afford to do control arms, full leaf pack in rear, and all the shim kits necessary.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
The spring perches are upside down. See the 1st picture, you can see the small retainer clip showing. A hard bump and that thing is going to come undone. The retainer clip should be covered by the spring perch.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, something ain't right. You should be able to to be one from the top setting and be sitting level. That's what my truck is set at in my avatar pic.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Jones's Tacoma Gallery

This is the previous version of the 5100's with the aluminum spring perch but the same setup. The clip is set at 1.75, third from the bottom in the picture.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm almost certain we put the springs on just how they came off the stock shocks.
The coil springs are correct, the flat part of the spring at the top of the assembly. It is the spring perch that the bottom end of the coil spring sets on, that is upside down.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the black spring perch on bottom is upside down.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery

We're here for you man, we're here for you. Flip it back right right way.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
If only the clip was that easy to get to instead of having to compress and take apart the shock just to adjust the height. Good luck, post pics when you get it flipped back the way it should be.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
The slowest build EVER!!

Well... That's kinda embarrassing lol. Thanks for the quick responses!! Have to buy new spring compressors. I destroyed the ones I had.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
i installed my 5100 last night didnt use a spring compressor try this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ll-method.html took me 2 hours to change out both shocks really easy
Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #15
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well... That's kinda embarrassing lol. Thanks for the quick responses!! Have to buy new spring compressors. I destroyed the ones I had.

I suggest bringing it somewhere. I think I paid $40 for 2 5100's. All I did was bring the strut/spring assy to a tire and suspension shop, ask them to swap the OEM's out for the 5100's. Youll pay more than $40 for a new pair of good compressors, and you can avoid possible injury to yourself.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dont be embarrased we all have been here. The fact that you asked when you thought something wasn't right shows character. This is how we learn.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
The slowest build EVER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post

And I dont recommend the non spring compressor method. Especially with your shocks already in a bind.

Dude we ended up using the weight of another truck and the front tow hook to push down around the top spring plate just to make sure the compressors didn't break on us! Slight bit of hill billy mechanics...and never doing it again!
Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #19

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Did you keep them at zero or go up any?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
The slowest build EVER!!

Put them at .85 lift which ended up being a hair over an inch more than the stock shocks. Just about level. Very happy with them now.