Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Help

Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
red taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cole
red taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Help

So this will be the first time I've lifted a truck since I bought this one not my dad. I plan on having the TSB done here pretty soon so I should have the equivalent to an AAL on the rear with new shocks? or at least thats what I think I have understood about the TSB.

Where would you all suggest I take it from there? I want to do something mild since its my daily driver but we go out to the desert to 4x and ride motorcycles pretty frequently and I want something more functional than stock.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Check out toyteclifts.com and wheelersoffroad.com for some lift ideas. It all depends on how much money you're willing to spend for the lift.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
Check out toyteclifts.com and wheelersoffroad.com for some lift ideas. It all depends on how much money you're willing to spend for the lift.
Yep!!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
I'm just not sure what to do as far as either the spacers or new shocks and coil overs. If I go with coil overs am i going to need new spindles or will I still get some lift from just coil overs alone. As far as the back is the TSB in the back going to be enough or am I still going to need to do an AAL?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by red taco View Post
I'm just not sure what to do as far as either the spacers or new shocks and coil overs. If I go with coil overs am i going to need new spindles or will I still get some lift from just coil overs alone. As far as the back is the TSB in the back going to be enough or am I still going to need to do an AAL?
Can't answer you about the TSB b/c I don't have it. With coilovers, you won't need to get new spindles. The coilovers will provide the lift.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
If you are gonna use it to run in the desert I would consider a set of coilovers, you wont need new spindles but if you got 3 inches you will need Upper control arms
Old 01-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
If you are gonna use it to run in the desert I would consider a set of coilovers, you wont need new spindles but if you got 3 inches you will need Upper control arms
I'd say you don't "Need" aftermarket UCAs but they are nice. I rode about 20k miles on an OME 3" lift with stock UCAs -- put on TC UCAs to get rid of the steering wobble.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed here. UCAs aren't absolutely necessary, but they are needed to get the alignment correct. I believe you can get it pretty close with the stock UCAs, but not right.

Regarding the TSB, it's not the equivalent to an AAL because they will settle quite a bit. I had the TSB done, then 3" of coilover lift in the front. At first they were level. Now, the rear is visibly lower than the front. I have a 2" AAL from ToyTec, but it won't fit the TSB spring pack without cutting. So, I'm gonna see if I can exchange them for the 1.5" TSB AAL that ToyTec now offers (they started offering it about 2 weeks after I bought mine!).
Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #9
Thank you everyone. All the info is much appreciated. I think I know the direction I will be heading in the near future.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
rrmclamb is on a distinguished road
Air Force: FLIGHT MEDIC
rrmclamb's Tacoma Gallery
lift help also

hey i have a warranty on my 2005 taco thinking of raising it. does anyone know if this will mess with my warrany?
thanks
Old 01-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
rrmclamb is on a distinguished road
Air Force: FLIGHT MEDIC
rrmclamb's Tacoma Gallery
lift help

yeah its a extened warranty when i bought the truck .........
Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by red taco View Post
So this will be the first time I've lifted a truck since I bought this one not my dad. I plan on having the TSB done here pretty soon so I should have the equivalent to an AAL on the rear with new shocks? or at least thats what I think I have understood about the TSB.

Where would you all suggest I take it from there? I want to do something mild since its my daily driver but we go out to the desert to 4x and ride motorcycles pretty frequently and I want something more functional than stock.

Thanks in advance.
I would go with the Bilstein shocks from DownSouth Motorsports. You can get up to 2.5" of lift in the front. Later if you want, you can add coilovers and you haven't lost anything. If you do something like a Readylift kit, you won't be able to use that if you later decide you prefer coilovers.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
+1!
+2

I have Ready lift and already need to change. If you go w/Billies you wont wear out your springs as fast. And if you do, then a simple upgrade is readily available from ToyTech.

My readylift spacer in one year and already caused springs to sag. 33's starting to rub more than they did when first installed. Billies a def mod, coilovers a plus