Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear "bottoms out" under load...

Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Royce
pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Rear "bottoms out" under load...

I have a 2007 SBDC with right about 99,000 miles. I have noticed that whenever I have a load in the back, or even just 2 adults in the extended cab, that the rear bottoms out on some bumps. Is this an indication that it is time to get new shocks in the rear or a new leaf pack? Both?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Royce
Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
the rear leafs are known to suck...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
the rear leafs are known to suck...
I have gathered that from reading several posts here. Do you think that is the only thing causing the truck to bottom out or do you think the shocks should be replaced also?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Are the shocks the originals? If so cheap investment to a nicer ride.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the shocks the originals? If so cheap investment to a nicer ride.
Yes...everything is still orginal...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I would replace both, but I would do the pack first. Thats the most important part IMHO.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Replace both and look at Downsouth motor sports & Spring Refurbishing

Depending on how bad your springs are or how much you want to spend,...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
blackpearl11 is on a distinguished road
blackpearl11's Tacoma Gallery
wow, I cant believe that your truck has this problem with only 99000 miles on it. Our rear suspension does suck
Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Soft springs = bottoming out.

Worn shocks = bouncing up and down after hitting a bump.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
You're in Cypress, Im in Pearland and Ive got some rear 5100s for sale. That'll help cover you on the shocks end.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/3095865274.html
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
How does everyone feel about the add a leaf to fix this problem along with new shocks?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #13

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post
How does everyone feel about the add a leaf to fix this problem along with new shocks?
How flat or negative arched are your current leafs?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not too sure, I will check it out tomorrow. If they still have the arch does this mean the AAL may be a good solution?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #15

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post
Not too sure, I will check it out tomorrow. If they still have the arch does this mean the AAL may be a good solution?
It means that is a viable solution. Did you check out the thread that I posted?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well...looks like I am getting some new leaf packs. Does anyone know if this would be covered under an extended warranty? I am going to check my documents here pretty soon, just wondering if anyone knew off hand.

Rear "bottoms out" under load...-worn-leaf-springs.jpg
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Op I had the same issue . I did a 1.5 aal and I stopped bottoming out for about 1 year. I started to bottom out again . I just installed Dakar leaf pack 2 weeks ago. I'm very happy with the ride . Here's a link
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upometaco.htm
Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
Not with your mileage.
According to this I am covered right? I bought a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty from the Land Rover dealership that I purchased the truck from. I will reach the mileage waaay before the 3 years but I am still under the mileage limit at this time.

This was taken from the warranty companies website:

Suspension

Upper and lower control arms. Control arm shaft and bushings. Upper and lower ball joints. King pins and bushings. Torsion bars, strut bar and bushings. Stabilizer bar, links and bushings. Wheel bearings, knuckle, spindle and support. MacPherson strut housing (not including shock absorber or insert). Coil spring, leaf spring, trailing arm, track bar, strut bearing/plates, radius rod and bushings. Steering dampener (shock), steering knuckle wear sleeve, electronic level control compressor, pressure limiter, compressor relay, height sensor, dryer, compressor assembly.