Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

what is needed to install blisten 5100?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
marintacoma is on a distinguished road

marintacoma's Tacoma Gallery
what is needed to install blisten 5100?

hi i read through all the blisten fourms but didnt get a complete awnser, my goal is to lift the front 2 inches without spacers. i have access to a lift and all shop tools and want to install blisten 5100s as they seem to be the cheapest option, any opinions? is all i need the shocks, and i can just replace the stock shocks and use the same coils? i have a 2004 toyota tacoma 4x4 trd. thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Yep thats about it, there are a few videos showing how to install them too they should help you out...
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Air tools will cut your install time down considerably.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

So I don't need new coils or anything? I only plan on getting 2 shocks for the front to level out my ride and have them set at 2 inches, what do you guys think?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marintacoma View Post
So I don't need new coils or anything? I only plan on getting 2 shocks for the front to level out my ride and have them set at 2 inches, what do you guys think?
You do not need new coils. And the settings are 0", 1", and 2.5"
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
If you buy the 5100s for all four springs, is it necessary to get AAL?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
5100s only lift the front by using a clip that moves the spring seat/perch up and preloads the coils...........no such luck for the rear.....u need an AAL

best deal out there and the best customer service

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Thanks Wolfpack, is there a need need to buy all four 5100's?

I will probably buy all four either way because the idea of having two performance shocks and two stock seems kinda ghetto to me.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Large Breast Enthusiast

Quote:
I bought all 4 since the price was right, plus having the TSB and an AAL required the longer 5100's (notice the rear option has 2 part numbers).

BTW I edited the link........the one up there now should be cheaper..... the one u quoted me on was a wrong link on my part

Should be this one
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-82...djustable.html

if ur not sure if the aal will require the longer rears, u can call the guys at downsouth motorsports and ask 1-888-973-6967

hooray for cheaper links! I am planning on purchasing all four 5100s, but I definitely DO NOT want a bro-lean at all. I don't think I have the TSB, so I'll probably have to do AAL.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
definitely do all four. the rear billys make the back seem much more together
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #11

do you guys think a 2.5 inch in front with everything else stock would look bad? im going to get new michelin 265/70/16 ltx at2, the stock size soon as well
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #12

yea ill probably have it set at 1.75 so it looks more level thanks, now i just need to find somewhere to buy the shocks, possibly 4wheel parts
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Quote:
yea ill probably have it set at 1.75 so it looks more level thanks, now i just need to find somewhere to buy the shocks, possibly 4wheel parts
Since you're a 1st Gen, you only have the 0", 1" and 2.5" lift options.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
damn multitasking................good catch
Nah, there were 2 people asking questions, OP with a 2004 and the other guy with a 2011. Suspension section might need a subforum also, this type of confusion seems to happen a lot.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do you guys think a 2.5 inch in front with everything else stock would look bad? im going to get new michelin 265/70/16 ltx at2, the stock size soon as well
Up size the tires to 265/75/16 (31.65").
Stock size looks too small on a lifted truck.
Mine with 3" lift and stock size tires (30.47")

With 255/85/16s (33.3")
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
All you need is a good spring compressor and you're good to go.
Not needed. You could do this method: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ll-method.html
Worked perfectly for me without a spring compressor.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
FYI to the OP, if you are using your stock coils, you might as well just buy a preload spacer. 5100's do the same thing, just from the bottom of the shock.

Get some eibach coils for the extra $170, you'll be glad you did!

stock coils are progressive, and ride like crap when compressed, eibachs are non progressive, and can be preloaded a bit without change in ride.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
FYI to the OP, if you are using your stock coils, you might as well just buy a preload spacer. 5100's do the same thing, just from the bottom of the shock.

stock coils are progressive, and ride like crap when compressed, eibachs are non progressive, and can be preloaded a bit without change in ride.
I cant speak to 5100s set at 2.5, but there is no comparison in the ride quality between a 2" coil spacer and billies set at 1.75. At 1.75 and below 5100s ride better than the stock OR set up. Spacers ride like a log truck.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post

5100's will ride better than a spacer of equal preload because the 5100's are valved to properly dampen the stiffer spring rate, while your stock shocks are not.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
TacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really nice
Air Force:
TacoLife08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Settings are 0, .85, 1.75 and 2.5.