Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I might try somthing dangerous, installing 5100's

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
I might try somthing dangerous, installing 5100's

so i think i see how people install these front shocks.... i never have really worked on a car before--as a side note

-if i set my clips to the .85 setting will i still need a spring compressor?

-if answer is yes
is the top bolt mount even partly in the hole?

-if it is, couldnt i just slowly lower my truck and have it compress the spring enough?.... or if i have my frame supported with a jackstand maybe lift the a-arm with the jack and have it compress it enough to install the top nut?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremejrowe View Post
so i think i see how people install these front shocks.... i never have really worked on a car before--as a side note

-if i set my clips to the .85 setting will i still need a spring compressor?

-if answer is yes
is the top bolt mount even partly in the hole?

-if it is, couldnt i just slowly lower my truck and have it compress the spring enough?.... or if i have my frame supported with a jackstand maybe lift the a-arm with the jack and have it compress it enough to install the top nut?
DO NOT USE YOUR TRUCK AS A SPRING COMPRESSOR.
Period. I have seen these springs shoot out, and everyone that I know that has been hit, has needed a trip to the ER. Use a spring compressor. If you have never used one, go to a shop, give them $40.00 and have them install the springs on your struts for ya. Compressed springs have a shit load of stored energy, and they are nothing to experiment with.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well..... i tried..... do i need a compressor to remove my springs from the stockers? i aint quite sure how it all works,,,,
yes.................anytime you are messing with coils...you need a spring compressor.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
wait, i just looked on another thread via search, remove the top three bolts (but not the center) and the whole assembly will come off? then compress the spring and undo the center bolt?...... an auto store will charge how much to rent theirs? i read sumthin like 60 bucks, but how much would be credited back?
i got my local tire shop to swap mine out...........cost me $40. if you have never used a spring compressor..............you may wanna do the same thing. they can be dangerous as hell man.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
i read some post about the ER, stiches, and bullets........ just wondering... i read that some of these aftermarket springs were pushin peoples spring compressors to their limits, is this the case with stock springs? how many inches do these things need to be compressed to fit them in?
im not sure how many inches are needed to be compressed, but the thing is..............there is so much pressure on those springs, if the spring compressor slips...........shits gonna fly!! the ones that shops use, that are mounted on a wall, are the best way to go.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #10

Quote:
ok so i can remove those 3 outer bolts on my shocks and take the assembly off, then drive into the shop (with a differnt vehicle right?) and have them do the swap.....

main question, remove top 3 nuts and not the center...?
correct...........3 top stud bolts....;eave middle nut alone!! unbolt bottom bolt, then remove assembly!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
yep...undo the 3 smaller bolts...leave the center one alone...undo the bottom bolt...take assembly + new shocks to your favorite tire/spring shop or mechanic and have them use their wall mounted compressor to swap the shocks

pay them some money

dont go to the er

Old 01-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #13
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
i'd have a shop do it man. when i did my jeep's i watched my dad almost lose his hand even with a spring compressor. let the guys with the experience do it
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #15
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how did they get their experience though???
by working with someone that has experience and LEARNING how to do it the right and safe way
Old 01-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #16
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
They have been practicing in THE MATRIX!!! Just like President Bush!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #17
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
If the guy wants to go on a trip to the ER then let him do it I say.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
The ER bill isnt worth it if it can be avoided :-p
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
If the guy wants to go on a trip to the ER then let him do it I say.
yep.............all we can give is advice and warnings!!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #20
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
take it in for god's sake...

the shop I took them into the first time -- the 885s broke their coil compressor... yikes... imagine that in your face....