1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I might try somthing dangerous, installing 5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jeremy_283, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jan 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    so i think i see how people install these front shocks.... i never have really worked on a car before--as a side note

-if i set my clips to the .85 setting will i still need a spring compressor?

-if answer is yes
    is the top bolt mount even partly in the hole?

-if it is, couldnt i just slowly lower my truck and have it compress the spring enough?.... or if i have my frame supported with a jackstand maybe lift the a-arm with the jack and have it compress it enough to install the top nut?

2. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    DO NOT USE YOUR TRUCK AS A SPRING COMPRESSOR.
    Period. I have seen these springs shoot out, and everyone that I know that has been hit, has needed a trip to the ER. Use a spring compressor. If you have never used one, go to a shop, give them $40.00 and have them install the springs on your struts for ya. Compressed springs have a shit load of stored energy, and they are nothing to experiment with.

3. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    well..... i tried..... do i need a compressor to remove my springs from the stockers? i aint quite sure how it all works,,,,

4. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yes.................anytime you are messing with coils...you need a spring compressor.

5. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    wait, i just looked on another thread via search, remove the top three bolts (but not the center) and the whole assembly will come off? then compress the spring and undo the center bolt?...... an auto store will charge how much to rent theirs? i read sumthin like 60 bucks, but how much would be credited back?

6. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i got my local tire shop to swap mine out...........cost me $40. if you have never used a spring compressor..............you may wanna do the same thing. they can be dangerous as hell man.

7. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i read some post about the ER, stiches, and bullets........ just wondering... i read that some of these aftermarket springs were pushin peoples spring compressors to their limits, is this the case with stock springs? how many inches do these things need to be compressed to fit them in?

8. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    im not sure how many inches are needed to be compressed, but the thing is..............there is so much pressure on those springs, if the spring compressor slips...........shits gonna fly!! the ones that shops use, that are mounted on a wall, are the best way to go.

9. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ok so i can remove those 3 outer bolts on my shocks and take the assembly off, then drive into the shop (with a differnt vehicle right?) and have them do the swap.....

main question, remove top 3 nuts and not the center...?

10. Jan 1, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    correct...........3 top stud bolts....;eave middle nut alone!! unbolt bottom bolt, then remove assembly!

11. Jan 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    yep...undo the 3 smaller bolts...leave the center one alone...undo the bottom bolt...take assembly + new shocks to your favorite tire/spring shop or mechanic and have them use their wall mounted compressor to swap the shocks

pay them some money

dont go to the er

:thumbsup:

12. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    +1 to all this! It cost me $40 to have both sides done... WELL worth the money to know that I wasn't going to kill myself! :)

13. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:43 AM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent
    i'd have a shop do it man. when i did my jeep's i watched my dad almost lose his hand even with a spring compressor. let the guys with the experience do it

14. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:10 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    how did they get their experience though???

15. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    by working with someone that has experience and LEARNING how to do it the right and safe way

16. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    They have been practicing in THE MATRIX:cool:!!! Just like President Bush:eek:!!!

17. Jan 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    If the guy wants to go on a trip to the ER then let him do it I say.

18. Jan 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent
    The ER bill isnt worth it if it can be avoided :p

19. Jan 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yep.............all we can give is advice and warnings!!

20. Jan 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    take it in for god's sake...

the shop I took them into the first time -- the 885s broke their coil compressor... yikes... imagine that in your face....

Products Discussed in

To Top