Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

885 coils and 5100s?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
885 coils and 5100s?

I have just now gotten to a point where I have enough cash to buy a lift... Therefore, I am freaking out. Because for a jobless 16 year old $600-$800 is a small fortune. I don't want to spend too much money on my suspension, considering my truck will rarely wander off the pavement. Although I would like to have 3 inches of front lift rather than the 2-2.5 that the 885s alone produce, and have a quality ride.

So my question is: would it be a safe choice to set the 5100s at 0.85 with 885 coils? or should I go with one or the other(OME or bilstein)? I am well aware bilstein is cheaper but I want to install it myself. I could pay a little more to toytec to get it all pre-assembled with top mounts(which would make installation a lot easier) and I can't do that if I use 5100s with my stock springs...
Sidenote: I would like to get new springs anyway because mine have over 136,000 miles on them
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I did it but eventually lowered the 5100s back to zero. Just a better ride and the easier on the cvs
Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on running my 885s (sitting in my closet) with with 5100s set at zero. I figure whatever amount of lift I get from the 5100s (expecting anywhere from 2.5 to 3") will be plenty.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
I did it but eventually lowered the 5100s back to zero. Just a better ride and the easier on the cvs
Damn haha. How much lift do those 885s give you? Another problem I have is the 285/265 debate. If I get 285s, I don't want to trim because my dad bought the truck
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
dont get 285s then...i remember buying a lift whe i was 17....lol
Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

They just look so much better!!!! haha especially since my dads making me get BFG A/Ts, not mud tires
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
they look wayyy batter imo.....i had to cut the cab mounts and i have 5" of lift....its because the spacers though
Old 06-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I cut a shit ton up front. Most people say that they could not tell if I did not point it out. Can you weld? If yor dad has a welder you can utilise the shittiest welds and just grind em down and fill in flaws with JB weld. I have not seen a better looking cab mount chop than mine and it jus from grinding and using JB weld as a filler before painting. I cannot weld and my buddy tried to cut out bad welds and reweld one side... still had tons of porosity. Good welds dont matter but dont think you can run a 33" 285 without a cab mount chop and lots of plastic trimming.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 885s and 5100s set at zero. I have considered moving the 5100s up to the .85 setting, but I'm afraid I will have alignment issues. Plus mine sits level now and it would raise the front higher than the back.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
I've got 885s and 5100s set at zero. I have considered moving the 5100s up to the .85 setting, but I'm afraid I will have alignment issues. Plus mine sits level now and it would raise the front higher than the back.
Do you have TSB springs? Or just the TSB AAL with regular leafs?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerTaco View Post
Do you have TSB springs? Or just the TSB AAL with regular leafs?
I have stock leaf pack with 150,000 miles on them and a 1 1/2" Wheeler AAL.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #12
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
Do the 275s rub at all?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1ns View Post
Do the 275s rub at all?
They rub my mudflaps on full turn but I'm not willing to remove the flaps so I live with it.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I got 885's with 5100's set at zero and the top plate spacer and I got a little over 3"s of lift. I am also running 285's and your going to have to do some minor trimming and will still rub the cab mount at full lock.