Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Am I making a mistake with this lift?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Am I making a mistake with this lift?

I know that there are a lot of threads like this and I think I have read through most of them but I still left with a few questions.

First of all I had no plans of lifting my truck but after carrying a few heavy loads and pulling a trailer I really want to do an aal to handle these situations better. I know if I just do the aal I will end up with a ridicilous rake so that got me thinking about lifting the front too.

I have a 2012 sport with the 4 leaf spring pack. Right now I measure about 1.5" high in the rear and I was going to add the Icon 3 leaf progressive aal which would bring me up to 3" high in the rear. I was going to add bilstien 5100 extended shock as per dsm. Up front I plan to change to 5100's set at 1.75" (I am fine with some rake) on the stock springs.

I can do all the work myself (except the alignment) and I can get the parts to my door for a little under $500. My question is am I wasting my money here? Should I really be thinking about a different lift? At this point I don't want to go to high and get into a lot of other parts ($) like uca's. Also I don't really off-road because where I live there isn't anywhere to go except for the occasional farm road, job site and beach.

Any thoughts will be appreciated or just point me to the right thread. Thanks for reading my ramble.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
One more thing...

At least I'm not asking about spacers.

No offense to those that love them.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Love Your Leisure
BrentPaucke is on a distinguished road
Navy: ABH
Name: brent
BrentPaucke's Tacoma Gallery
if you just want it for heavy loads look into air bags instead
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Thinking of something clever
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
dad32509's Tacoma Gallery
You wont need uca with 1.75 in the front, and the stock springs should handle it fine. aal in the rear is a good idea because the stock springs will slowly go out on you if your hauling and towing. I think you'll be happy when its all said and done. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on airbags ^
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
x2 on airbags ^
This ^^^
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
just spent some time reading about airbags and I don't think they are for me but thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The progressive aal will not handle weight well. Its designed for a cushy off road ride with more flex. A single aal will stiffen the rear up for weight capacity but "eventually" a new leaf pack designed for weight (AP Expos or Dakars) will be needed.

From what I've read the base/sport model springs ride decent with the 5100 pre-loaded like that so that should be a good budget lift up front.....but it will ride firm as you're still pre-loading the springs.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
The progressive aal will not handle weight well. Its designed for a cushy off road ride with more flex. A single aal will stiffen the rear up for weight capacity but "eventually" a new leaf pack designed for weight (AP Expos or Dakars) will be needed.

From what I've read the base/sport model springs ride decent with the 5100 pre-loaded like that so that should be a good budget lift up front.....but it will ride firm as you're still pre-loading the springs.
I have heard that the progressive pack will initially flex under load but it does help with added weight. Is this not true?

I just played around on toytecs site and DSM and figured out for about $80 more then I was thinking about spending I can get Eibach, a single 1.5" AAL and 5100's front and rear. This sounds ok because I thought the longer term plan was going to be a new coil up front and a new pack out back(don't want to spend the $400+ right now for the rear).

My questions now are...
Is this going to be a really stiff ride?
Would any of the OME coils be better options?

I know I'm asking for better ability to handle weight and towing but I'm not asking to bust my guts.

I would probably set the front billies at stock or may be .85" but again right now I do not want to get involved with UCA's or get too high.

Thanks in advance for any insight and again thanks for reading my ramble.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had 5100's in front set at 2.5" and it was stiff as hell. Hated the ride. I got OME 885x's and love them. Still have 2.5" up front with the 5100 set at 0. The ride is night and day. I cant speak for Eibach but Ive heard good things. Cant go wrong with either imo. As far as UCA, its hit or miss man. If you go up to 2.5 some trucks you can get away with stock uca, some wont.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
you dont NEED rear 5100s btw either.. I am running 5100s in the front set at 2.5" and have the wheelers 3 leaf progressve AAL, with stock TRD bilsteins in the back. i love it, no complaints.

EDIT/ I was also able to go to 2.5" without new UCAs
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad32509 View Post
I had 5100's in front set at 2.5" and it was stiff as hell. Hated the ride. I got OME 885x's and love them. Still have 2.5" up front with the 5100 set at 0. The ride is night and day. I cant speak for Eibach but Ive heard good things. Cant go wrong with either imo. As far as UCA, its hit or miss man. If you go up to 2.5 some trucks you can get away with stock uca, some wont.
Looking at the specs of your truck is that OMD leaf pack and Old Man Doug refurbished pack?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
Looking at the specs of your truck is that OMD leaf pack and Old Man Doug refurbished pack?
Sure is. OMD special. I didnt want to go too high in the rear. Wanted to keep a lower profile but have a better ride. Chevy 1 ton aal. Took out the donor and kept the two uppers with the chevy 1 ton on the bottom. Honestly one of the best things Ive done to my truck. My springs were getting kinda saggy and needed saving
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TSB leaf pack in my 09' which should be the same pack yours came with standard. I added standard length 5100's in rear and front set at 1.75" My truck is level now and rides way better than stock IMO. No vibes or anything and bump are WAY smoother. Since your doing this for weight/towing, I think you should get an aal i back to make it 5 leafs with extended 5100 and set front at 1.75 still. You will still have a rake, but it will be equivalent to what you have now. The front and back will go up in proportion so your not really changing much. Then when you tow, the back will get weighed down and it looks level again (theoretically) Ignore the AT tires, but just to give you and idea, this is the oem 4 leaf pack with standard length 5100 and front set at 1.75 with stock UCA. I love the ride and no issues

Its not too high at all. Take these pics posted and imagine another 1" - 1.5" in back... itll look great. The front will ride wonderful and the back will be super still if you add a leaf, but once its under weight it should be better