Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Estimated time on 5100 install??

Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Shake N Bake will become famous soon enough

Shake N Bake's Tacoma Gallery
Estimated time on 5100 install??

Gonna try and tackle this in the mornin with a buddy and we are not very mechanically inclined. Were gonna attempt it using the method that bypasses a spring compressor and just use floor jacks. I've read up on the thread and saw the video, so im aware of the dangers. I just want to know about how long it would take to complete this? Assuming it goes smoothly. Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
2 hrs tops. Be sure to mark your LCA adjustments really good with white paint/marker.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N Bake View Post
Gonna try and tackle this in the mornin with a buddy and we are not very mechanically inclined. Were gonna attempt it using the method that bypasses a spring compressor and just use floor jacks. I've read up on the thread and saw the video, so im aware of the dangers. I just want to know about how long it would take to complete this? Assuming it goes smoothly. Thanks in advance
Depending on your level of skill & proper tools.equip i.e. jacks/jack stands
its kinda hard to gauge, you'd probably be better off just biting the bullet on this one & just take the struts/coilover shocks off & take them to get compressed at a shop assuming your experience or lack thereof (which is in no way a put down you understand) Just my $.02

good luck which ever way you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
2 hrs tops. Be sure to mark your LCA adjustments really good with white paint/marker.

Damn dude puttin' the pressure to a couple rookies !!....
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Both rears can be done in 15 minutes with two people. fronts can take almost an hour for both sides. 1 1/2 hours if you know what you are doing and have a buddy.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Damn dude puttin' the pressure to a couple rookies !!....
Yeah. I was only considering the fronts, not all 4. Plus, you need to know what you are going to do ahead of time. Have the plan mapped out. The reason I stressed marking the LCAs is because I spent more time F'ing around with those than anything else because I screwed up and didn't mark them well.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
let us know how it went when you are done......GL
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
bobfm10350 is on a distinguished road

Name: Deric
bobfm10350's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you put some Liquid Wrench/Wd-40 or some kind of penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts ahead of time to avoid stripping anything. A stripped nut or bolt always tends to complicate things. Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Talking all done. 5100 at 1.75". No tsb

I would of posted the results sooner but it was a busy weekend to say the least. I'm really pleased with the outcome tho. Now I'm itching to get some new rubber!

Before:

After:

Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

Also MUCH thanks to GotLift37 for the bilstiens! Was very helpful and made the purchase a breeze. Arrived on time and in great shape.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
REDRIDER98999 is on a distinguished road

REDRIDER98999's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would of posted the results sooner but it was a busy weekend to say the least. I'm really pleased with the outcome tho. Now I'm itching to get some new rubber!

Before:

After:

Looks great! How much different is the ride?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #11

The ride is better than stock in my opinion. Takes turns and dips 200% better. I love it and wish I would of done it sooner
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
glad you like them truck looks good. now its time for some new rubber
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #13

Yea for sure. So 265/75/16 is big as I can go correct? Any tire suggestions?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea for sure. So 265/75/16 is big as I can go correct? Any tire suggestions?

looks good dude, & yeah your pretty much at the limit tire wise unless you do a cab chop & some trimming of plastic...
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #15

Thanks man. Yea with it being my daily driver and me hooked on the mpg I think I'll settle with the 265. Which I've had at least 35's on my previous trucks so it's gonna take awhile to accept it haha how bad would mud terrains affect my mpg?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use a floor jack, just take the struts out and call around to find a place that will compress the coils and put the 5100s on for you. It will be much easier and save on a lot of hassle, trust me. As far as install time, it will probably take you about 2- 2 1/2 hours the first side, then when you figure out how to do it you will get the other side done in half that time.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Took me 4hrs to do all 4 on my own using a floor jack and two jack stands.

Could been done faster but I was drinking beer while BSing with my neighbor durin the install
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
oaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
looks great, i just had the tsb done and im ready to order the 5100s all the way around. Im gonna do the rears and have a shop do the fronts so i dont hafta mess around compressing the coils. My question is.....is it as simple as it looks to do the rears, just unbolt and rebolt top and bottom or am i missing something?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaker View Post
looks great, i just had the tsb done and im ready to order the 5100s all the way around. Im gonna do the rears and have a shop do the fronts so i dont hafta mess around compressing the coils. My question is.....is it as simple as it looks to do the rears, just unbolt and rebolt top and bottom or am i missing something?
Yep, that's all there is to it. You don't even need to take the tires off. The hardest part for me was getting the shock in the bottom mount, it's a pretty tight fit