Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

FINALLY gonna pull the trigger... PLEASE help!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Royce
pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
FINALLY gonna pull the trigger... PLEASE help!

After literally months of researching and debating, I am ready to spend the money on upgrading my suspension and getting a lift. What I have decided on is below. Please glance over it and let me know if I have everything that I will need.

1) Maxtrac spindles
2) Extended brake lines (front)
3) Adjustable Bilstein 5100's (front). I am going to set these at. 85.
4) All Pro STANDARD 3" leafs
5) Bilstein 5100's (rear). Not sure of the length yet but I will get with DSM when I am ready.

A few questions. Will I need extended rear brake lines? Will the front and back be level with this set up? Does anyone think that I need to get new coil springs (considering that I have 100,000 miles)?

Also, I know I will need the spacers for front and rear if I keep my stock rims but I am waiting on a package price from the ProComp group buy before I make that decision.

Any and all suggestions and/or help is greatly appreciated. Please excuse any typos since I am sending this from my phone.

Thanks!
Royce
Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Another question. Do I need the All Pro U bolt flip kit if I won't be going off road? From reading the description, it seems its only needed for clearance.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
I have nearly the same setup.

Front: Maxtrac Spindles, 5100's set to 2.5", Extended brake lines.

Rear: All-Pro Expedition Leaf pack, RCD 4.5 5100 shocks, U-Bolt flip kit, Extended brake lines.

With this setup, my truck sits 1" higher in the front. I would have to set my billies at 1.75" to get it perfectly level.

I believe the expo leafs give you exactly 3". (My expedition leafs give me 4" unloaded). If that's the case, .85" on the billies should leave your truck pretty level. You will need extended brake lines in the rear, too. The U-Bolt flip isn't required, but it's worth the $50 for the peace of mind you get knowing you're not going to catch the bolts on something while offroad. I believe the regular billies are good for up to 3" of rear lift. I'm sure DSM would be happy to give you any info on that when you call them.

With the Maxtrac's, your front end will stick out about 2" further then the rear. I would recommend new wheels with 4.5" Backspacing if you plan to run a 33" tire, or larger.. I run 1.25" spacers in the rear only, to offset the difference. Keep in mind, you will also likely need to do a good bit of cutting to get rid of any rubbing and the Cab Mount Chop will likely be required, also.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
and the Cab Mount Chop will likely be required, also.
What is this?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Also, how is the ride with the front set at 2.5? I was thinking of going 1.75 but am worried about the ride for the wife and 2 young kids...
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a wife and two children. The ride is pretty stiff, bu I like it. If you're looking for a smooth ride, just add spindles and leave the 5100's at 0. Add the 3" leaf pack and you'll have 1" rake to the front. Every little bit above that, you will be sacrificing the soft ride. The higher you go, the stiffer the ride. Only way to get a smooth, factory like, ride at 2.5" is with a set of coulovers. Coilovers will run you between $1,000 - $1,600.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
are extended rear brake lines necessary for the expo pack?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
are extended rear brake lines necessary for the expo pack?
According to Davtopgun...yes. But that is the reason why I started this thread...to get informed.

Have you heard otherwise?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all04trd is a name known to all

Name: Matt
04trd's Tacoma Gallery
All pro expos 3 inch lift it 4 inches
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Get new/used coils either get some used TRD OR (not SR5 only), eibachs or OME to go with the 5100s.
I think that I am leaning that way. There are a couple of members selling some right now.

I can do SR5 or TRD's right?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04trd View Post
All pro expos 3 inch lift it 4 inches
I totally screwed that up when I wrote that. I am only getting the standard All Pro leafs! Do I still need the extended lines for the rear?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post
I think that I am leaning that way. There are a couple of members selling some right now.

I can do SR5 or TRD's right?
NO, SR5 and TRD OR and TRD Sport coils are not the same. I have a set of TRD OR coils (100k miles) for sale if you want them, I just switched them out for eibachs and 5100s. I personally would swap your SR5 coils for either TRD OR coils or the eibachs or OMEs. From what I remember, and someone will correct me if I am wrong, but TRD OR coils are progressive and the SR5 and Sport coils are not.

Just looking at your set up, you are spending the time and the money, skipping coils would be a little silly. I think I got my coils for $150ish new, and if you buy them at the same time you can save on shipping.

Just my $.02

ETA: Also, don't know if you need the extended lines, but SS lines are nice, and get them longer so that if you change your mind about lift later then you don't have to redo them. Not sure if that is a bad idea, but it is what I did, was going for a 1.5" lift and level and went with lines that were long enough to do a 3" lift.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Also, would I be level with the standard All Pro leafs and billies at .85 in the front?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no, you'd have some serious rake, you'd be level with 5100's up front and NO all pro leaf pack, you're gonna want to look into OME 885's or 886's (if you plan on a winch bumper) if you want to sit level with all pro's leafs
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Extended brake lines are cheap. It's not worth taking the chance to save $30.
roger that, i'll look into those when the time comes to purchase the leaf pack
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
no, you'd have some serious rake, you'd be level with 5100's up front and NO all pro leaf pack, you're gonna want to look into OME 885's or 886's (if you plan on a winch bumper) if you want to sit level with all pro's leafs
Fill me in bro, cause now I am nervous. I though I had this shit figured out.

"Rake" means the back will be higher right?

Even with the 5100's set at 2.5, I would be higher in the back? Don't forget...I am getting the Maxtrac spindles also. Please tell me that you just missed that!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
When you say extended brake lines are you talking about SS lines or rubber lines?

Also, why not save the money and just do AALs, OP doesnt sound like he will be off roading like a crazy person.

ETA: Why are you getting spindles if you are setting the 5100s at .85, or even 1.75, seems like you dont need those... Maybe you need to tell us what look or functionality you are looking for? May I am just suffering from the Mondays.