Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ICON Supension ?'s....

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
YotaChris is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
YotaChris's Tacoma Gallery
ICON Supension ?'s....

What's up guys. I just picked up a 2012 DC Sport 4x4 about 2 weeks ago (love it BTW!!) and I have been heavily researching my suspension ideas/dreams. The setup I have come up with is as follows...

ICON extended travel coilovers (non resi.)
ICON 3 leaf pack add a leafs
ICON tubular uniball uca's
And ICON rear shocks.

The question I have is, do the non reservoir rear shocks have the same travel lenght as the remote reservoir shocks? I was leaning towards the non resi shocks but i don't want to limit my rear suspension travel. I do mainly highway traveling but definitely like a good offroad adventure!! Toytec offers most of the kit I would like with the option of remote resi, or non remote resi for the rear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! You might want to call DSM, or Icon and see what they have to say about the travel.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it limits travel at all it just adds more oil inside the shock so it doesent overheat as fast
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Ok, thanks guys for the crazy fast reply!! Lol... What is a good contact # for DSM? I'll call them just to make sure. I've heard that the remote reservoirs are just to run cooler and I've heard some people say that they are a lot better but I don't do enough wheeling to ever need that extra protection, just want a real good suspension. I appreciate the input, thanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaChris View Post
Ok, thanks guys for the crazy fast reply!! Lol... What is a good contact # for DSM? I'll call them just to make sure. I've heard that the remote reservoirs are just to run cooler and I've heard some people say that they are a lot better but I don't do enough wheeling to ever need that extra protection, just want a real good suspension. I appreciate the input, thanks.
Ive found that the front non resis, pared with the rear resis, will run at the same temps, or within a couple degrees of each other.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
So are you saying that it would be better to get the resis in the back? Them running about the same temp would mean about the same longevity for the front and rear? How much longer do the remote resis normally last with mild wear and tear?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaChris View Post
So are you saying that it would be better to get the resis in the back? Them running about the same temp would mean about the same longevity for the front and rear? How much longer do the remote resis normally last with mild wear and tear?
Yeah. The fronts dont need resis. As for longevity, that all depends on how you use them.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yeah. The fronts dont need resis. As for longevity, that all depends on how you use them.
Ok, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't beat on it but I do work deep in South Texas driving down pretty jacked up paved and dirt roads so that is something I definitely have to take into consideration.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Also check out the adjustable bilstein 5100 . I think that would be more of your needs .
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The rear resi was designed to run cooler and have more consistent travel as the shock is smaller than the 2.5" front and can't be tuned enough to keep up. I think travel is the same number wise but the rear end has problems keeping up with the front so I'd beef that up anyway possible. They have a 2.5" rear and "may" be overkill for you but you'll find yourself slowing down because of the rear preformance and it's no fun LOL!

Forget the budget lifts (5100's, OME etc) and stay with the higher end brands.....I've learned the hard way!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
That makes sense. I use to have an 01 DC 4x4 with bilstein 5100's and eibach springs with toytec aal and it wasn't all that smooth. That's the reason I'm looking so.much into ICON. My truck will see mainly highway so the smooth ride of that setup is something I'm looking farward to. I admit I am doing the lift mainly for looks but I want it to perform well when I just can't stop my hands from reaching for that 4wd switch!! The entire kit I'm looking at isn't the cheapest and the remote resi shocks for the rear are only $200 more so of I'm going to be a lot more satisfied with those then so be it.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
How much more are the 2.5 shocks for the rear?