1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shocks bottoming out on bumps....New taco owner!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cdoghump, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    cdoghump

cdoghump [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amarillo, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    I just bought 06 TRD OR, I noticed the shocks would bottom out on bumps. I know this is not good but, before i buy 5100 front and rear, just wondering if there could be more parts that are likely worn I should replace while in process? I really dont want to get in middle of it and need to find a ride to parts store.... First time replacing shocks on anything. any special tools? my truck is all stock (as far as I know) no lift, 5100's be perfect?any tips? anything im missing? sorry for so much! Still trying to research as much as possible before posting what could be stupid or unnecessary questions. Thanks for any help, everyone!

2. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    cdoghump

Member:
    Amarillo, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Thanks! that will probably be a bit cheaper too (having shop switch em). I plan to put new leafs and springs sometime hopefully soon. Just the shocks should make huge difference, i understand, for starters...

3. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    pgiroua

pgiroua Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Lights "a la Caribe Style", 20% Tint, csjumper2003's LED's (dome, map lights, park lights), Sylvania ZXE headlights and fog lights, Tonnopro Bed Cover, DTRL on any time mod by piercedtiger, Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100's (front and back), OME 883 Coils, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack
    Simply put... Bottoming out = leaf springs and bouncey ride = shocks.

I personally think the main problem you are having is with your leaf springs. I have the same exact problem on my 2007 and I brought it to a suspension shop. They told me the leafs were toast and Toyota is known to have a weak design on their leaf springs. They also told me the shocks were done. Take a look under your truck at the leaf springs and see what kind of arc you have. If it is a flat or negative arc, they are toast.

To check the struts and shocks, push down hard on your bumper quite a few times them let it bounce on its own. If you get more than 1.5 bounces, they are toast also.

I took this as an opportunity and I am now in the process of overhauling my suspension with 2 new struts, 2 new shocks, maxtrac spindles and an all pro leaf pack.

If I am wrong on any of this, someone please correct me because I am still learning about this stuff also.

How many miles on the truck?

4. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    cdoghump

Member:
    Amarillo, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Thanks! good info! 90,000 miles. I wish I could afford to do it all at one time. Anyone think I should maybe do leaf pack with shocks on rear first, front later? Or four shocks, then do leafs later?

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Similar problem after I did my spacer lift, kept hit my bump stops. I bought rear procomp 9000's from summit, was under $100. Cheaper alternative to billy's if your not into offroading. There pretty easy to install, some how to's and videos around. Haven't hit them since.

6. Jul 4, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    pgiroua

pgiroua Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Lights "a la Caribe Style", 20% Tint, csjumper2003's LED's (dome, map lights, park lights), Sylvania ZXE headlights and fog lights, Tonnopro Bed Cover, DTRL on any time mod by piercedtiger, Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100's (front and back), OME 883 Coils, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack
    I would definitely start with the leaf pack first since that is most likely what is causing you to bottom out.

Easiest thing is to just find a suspension shop and let them take a look at it. It will literally take 5 minutes and they can check your leafs and shocks in the parking lot.

If all 4 shocks and the leaf springs are bad, I am not sure that you will replace ALL of those parts for very cheap.

7. Jul 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    cdoghump

Member:
    Amarillo, TX
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    the procomps 9000, says for trucks with 3in of lift. are they adjustable and fit stock taco? different sites describe differently, its confusing me.....

Products Discussed in

To Top