Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 install question

Old 07-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
oaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
5100 install question

so im hopin to install the billy 5100s soon..........my question is: is it possible to install them by only removing the sway bar and tie rod end?....i really dont want to remove the lower ball joint bolts. thanks for any input.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on what method you are using to install them.

I use this method and you are required to remove the sway bar, and remove the lower ball joint bolts but not the tie rod end.

No matter what method you use you will have to get it aligned afterwards.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
This should help ya out
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ll-method.html
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
oaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
im gonna have a shop switch the springs for me, i was just wondering if they could be reinstalled without removing the lower ball joint bolts, cause i guess the 5100s are a little longer.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
I use this method and you are required to remove the sway bar, and remove the lower ball joint bolts but not the tie rod end.
I used that video method and did not have to remove the sway bar. I have read where some people said they did have to. Why is that?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaker View Post
im gonna have a shop switch the springs for me, i was just wondering if they could be reinstalled without removing the lower ball joint bolts, cause i guess the 5100s are a little longer.
The 5100s are the exactly same length as stock shocks.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The 5100s are the exactly same length as stock shocks.
even the adjustable ones?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
even the adjustable ones?
Correct, they have the same extended length as stock shocks. They achieve lift by moving the spring perch up, which in turn decreases the available down travel.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #9

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Correct, they have the same extended length as stock shocks. They achieve lift by moving the spring perch up, which in turn decreases the available down travel.
so even set at 1.75 theyll be the same length?.....ive seen some saying theyre a 1/2" or so longer and you need to pry the LCA down a little to squeeze them in.....im just hoping to not disconnect the LCA
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Can I ask why you don't want to remove the lower ball joint bolts to do it? They are really easy to reinstall. I've done it before by seperating the upper ball joint from the upper control arm and then found the video for the easy install method. I've done it this way twice now and I will never go back to separating the upper ball joint.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #11

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_TACO View Post
Can I ask why you don't want to remove the lower ball joint bolts to do it? They are really easy to reinstall. I've done it before by seperating the upper ball joint from the upper control arm and then found the video for the easy install method. I've done it this way twice now and I will never go back to separating the upper ball joint.
actually im hoping i dont hafta remove the upper or lower, id like to keep the disassembly to a min and only remove the sway bar if possible.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
actually im hoping i dont hafta remove the upper or lower, id like to keep the disassembly to a min and only remove the sway bar if possible.
You will have to do one or the other. You won't be able to get the stock spring/strut assembly out without loosening the lower or upper ball joint. Again. The bottom is easy. 2 bolts and you are done. No hammering and no fork to get it apart.

I use the easy install method and I don't loosen the sway bar or the alignment bolts. I just pry down on the lower control arm once I have the lower ball joint loose. I put my 5100s with OME 885s in using this method without any problems.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
I used that video method and did not have to remove the sway bar. I have read where some people said they did have to. Why is that?
I guess I should clarify. I made this video and have used this method about 3 or 4 times. I have had my sway bar removed before I every attempted this method and when making the video I never mentioned the sway bar because I forgot all about it. Some other members have mentioned to me that they had to disconnect their sway bar when using this method. I have been meaning to add that note to the video.

Quote:
You will have to do one or the other. You won't be able to get the stock spring/strut assembly out without loosening the lower or upper ball joint. Again. The bottom is easy. 2 bolts and you are done. No hammering and no fork to get it apart.
I agree with this.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I use the easy install method and I don't loosen the sway bar or the alignment bolts. I just pry down on the lower control arm once I have the lower ball joint loose. I put my 5100s with OME 885s in using this method without any problems.
This sounds like the best of all. I guess you use a long pry bar to get the LCA down?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

The prybar I use is about 18". It has a point at the end that I can put in one of the holes in the lower control arm and push down.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so even set at 1.75 theyll be the same length?.....ive seen some saying theyre a 1/2" or so longer and you need to pry the LCA down a little to squeeze them in.....im just hoping to not disconnect the LCA
Yes, it does not matter what setting they are set to, they have the same extended length as the stock shocks.

I only disconnected the sway bar and the tie rod end when I installed my 5100's and Eibachs. I didn't touch the lower or upper control arm ball joints.

This is the thread I used as a guide:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ines-pics.html