1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibes from front end

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pataco, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    pataco

pataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    anybody out there had vibes when they installed 3'' spacer with aal??????ive got one and need help before i do something crazy and take it off.i was wondering if when you take out the front springs if they have to go back in the same way??now after install when i look in the fender well i see red/orange and white markings on the springs,which i did not see before.that is the only thing that i see that i might have done wrong.the KIT said nothing about that weather wrong or right.ive been in contact with some of the members from here(thank you) and i just cant figure it out.i would love to do the c/o and uca's but that is not an option now.the only thing i have left is to go back to stock(euwww) and hope to god it goes away$$$$$$$.thanks ahead for any imput.

2. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What kind of vibes are you haveing. Are they fron ther front, rear, all around?

3. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    pataco

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    def. from the front the vibes start at 10ish to 55ish mph.when i put it in 4x4 they go away.i had this topic up on the 1st i think of jan.still didnt get anywere.im at wits end with it because this truck WAS so smooth and quiet before a SIMPLE lift was added.now it reminds me of the old chevy truck i used to have(piece of crap).ive tried diff. shim variations on the carrier and the front diff.nothing is working but i cant make it worse.thanks

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Has it been aligned? Im assuming the tires are ballanced.

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    SnoBoarder, has been working on a theory that the front diff is misaligned. I've been messing with it a bit(its damn cold all the time) and it seems to be helping.

6. Jan 4, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I would guess front diff, bc I had or have sometimes a slight vibe in the front aswell. The diff drop helped it out. Either that or tire issue, alignment or ballance.

7. Jan 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Send a PM to Snowboarder, and he can tell ya what he did on his truck. It helped quite a bit.

8. Jan 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM
    pataco

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    thanks to all,i was in contact with snowboarder(hes not to far from me 2hrs).i did get his thery on paper and it was what i was thinking(awsome).im just concerned about replacing exspensive parts down the road,how far down,dont know.i just figured it was a simple thing to bolt on and go with no issues.just my luck.i just dont have the time(work,family,kids sporting event ect)to keep messing with it.we have a jeep that we go wheeling with (im a clean freak with my truck)i thought it would be cool if my tow rig had a lift as well.for now im going back to stock with it and install a set of air bags on the rear.i do thank everyone with their imput greatly. to be continued

9. Jan 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    SnoBoarder

SnoBoarder Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.

Member:
    Lost
    Vehicle:
    85 4Runner - Built not Bought
    I had pretty good luck with a specific vibe. I wanted to try a Diff Drop thinking it might help with a vibe that had been slowy increasing in intensity over the past 6 months. I had the diff drop kit laying around so I thought I'd try it out. Bad idea. I caused a brand new and rather intense 10-15 and 40-45mph vibe as soon as I installed it. The weird thing is the vibe remained just as intense even after I removed it. I was surprised because I expected that removing the diff drop and returning it back to the way it was would take me back to my relatively vibe free condition. I was really unhappy :mad: to put it nicely because that didn't happen, it was absolutely miserable to drive at certain speeds.

So I thought about it and deduced that when I broke the front diff mounting bolts loose and installed the drop spacers, I caused a small shift in the front diff position and had not returned it to exaclty where it was positioned originally or I had not acheived the same torque level from the factory installation, or a little of both. There's a small amount of play with the 2 main mounting bolts and brackets and I used a 2 foot breaker bar to break the bolts loose originally, and they were really tight, so I think this is plausible.

Anyway, I seemed to get it back to where it was with some trial and error, or maybe I just got lucky, IDK. :) I really can't know for certain because I made no measurements but the pic shows how I tried to pry it a little and I did push those bolts a little past spec, to at least 110FT/LBS while prying against the bracket. Maybe this is all BS, I'm not an auto mechanic, but I sure noticed when I hit the sweat spot because that miserable vibe was gone.

DiffAlignmentAnglesredandgreen_15f92023e79f2c1cb130504098ec18f034e98e0f.jpg

10. Jan 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    pataco

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    thanks im going to try that.

11. Jan 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I measured from the bolt on the lower control arm to the metal band on the CV boot with a string hanging off it, I got it as close to the same as I could measure. I still have some vibes tho, 28-35mph or so. I think it might be a tire issue though.

Products Discussed in

To Top