LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift shop quotes (laughable)...

Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Royce
pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Lift shop quotes (laughable)...

I have gotten (4) separate quotes from local lift shops here in the Houston area. Below are the results:

1) $1,000
2) $600
3) $480
4) $350

For those interested, I am asking a price to replace the spindles and struts up front, new leaf pack and shocks in the rear. They would also have to mount and balance new rims and tires and do an alignment.

Why such the broad range? What is everyone's opinion of where the price SHOULD be at?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post
I have gotten (4) separate quotes from local lift shops here in the Houston area. Below are the results:

1) $1,000
2) $600
3) $480
4) $350

For those interested, I am asking a price to replace the spindles and struts up front, new leaf pack and shocks in the rear. They would also have to mount and balance new rims and tires and do an alignment.

Why such the broad range? What is everyone's opinion of where the price SHOULD be at?
The range can be due to a lot of things, namely the shop's experience with that type of work and how busy they are. If they're not making markup on the parts, some shops don't want to bother installing someone else's parts.

In my opinion, $80+/- for an alignment, 1 - 1.5 hours to install new shocks all around so figure $150ish, $40 - $50 to mount and balance 4 tires and 1 hour to swap the spindles so another $100. Roughly, I'd guess your total should be in the neighborhood of $400 before taxes.

There is some efficiency gained with doing all the work at once which my guesstimate does not take into account. There is also some risk with rust on older trucks in the salt belt or near salt water (not sure if you're near the ocean).
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Are you supplying the parts?

I would say you are looking at 6 hour job, average shop rate is $80 an hour... so 6*80= $480
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Host a meet in texas and ask some locals to come help you do it. Supply food and beverage, wrench on the truck, and make some new friends
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
Are you supplying the parts?

I would say you are looking at 6 hour job, average shop rate is $80 an hour... so 6*80= $480
I would be supplying all of the parts.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
My father in law has the tools and the know how to get it done but the shop quoting me $350 also will warranty their work for 25,000 miles. I would also need to bring it somewhere to mount/balance the tires and get an alignment. This in itself would be roughly $150-$200.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Host a meet in texas and ask some locals to come help you do it. Supply food and beverage, wrench on the truck, and make some new friends
^^
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Ask locals for help. Meet some TWers in your area & learn more about your truck. I'm sure some have done lifts, Then all you need are the tires mounted & balanced followed by an alignment.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
2 & 3 seem to be the only reasonable quotes on that list for what you want done depending on whether the alignment is 1 time, 1 yr, 3 yr or lifetime.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post

1) $1,000
2) $600
3) $480
4) $350

What are the shops in question... I live in Houston and can probably give some insight on the shops.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
What are the shops in question... I live in Houston and can probably give some insight on the shops.
$1000 = American Wheel & Tire
$600 = Cutten Customs
$480 = Offroad Outlaws
$350 = 2920 Customs
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
2920 Custom is NOT an offroad shop. They are a tint/stereo/alarm shop. I watched a similar shop, not that one, attempt their first wheel and suspension work on someone elses vehicle while I had my alarm installed... swore I would never use a stereo shop for mechanical work after seeing that.

Your most expensive option will do good work. Had friends use em but did my install myself due to price. They are only like 5 min from me.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You're better off doing your own work.....have some local members come over if you already have the tools. You'll learn more about your truck that way, save money and KNOW it's done right. Those are all pretty straight forward swaps (all you're doing is removing and replacing)!