Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Run OEM 886 for a few months before adding bumper?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
troy28 is on a distinguished road
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Run OEM 886 for a few months before adding bumper?

I have tried to research as much as possible. I am a DC LB. I have already added ~200lbs in step bars and skids. This weight is obviously spread across the bottom of the truck just trying to be as accurate as possible.

If cash was not an issue I would do the bumper/winch when I do the OME lift kit. That just is not an option. I am planning to do the full OME lift kit w/LR UCA and upgrade rear leafs. Want to do this right.

When the day comes to add the front bumper and winch it will be just slightly under 200lbs.

Has anyone run the 886 in a similar set up with out the extra weight of the aftermarket bumper? Is it slightly stiffer than an 885 or is it super stiff and uncomfortable?

If I went with an 885 today and then added the bumper later about how much sag should I expect?

All personal feedback greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Just added a ~100 Lb bumper to my 885 setup and the front went down 1/2"
Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
The 886 coils are going to be what you want in the long run for sure.

You can use them in the meantime but just know that it will ride like shit and you will feel every bump super hard - the coils will probably not flex at all until you get that bumper/winch setup on there.

With that said, I would go with the 886 coils and get the bumper/winch ASAP.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Just my opinion, but don't put on 885s if you are getting a bumper & winch combo later. It's around 2 hours of labor per side plus alignment just to swap coils (is for me anyway). Just do it once, the first time.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy28 View Post
I have tried to research as much as possible. I am a DC LB. I have already added ~200lbs in step bars and skids. This weight is obviously spread across the bottom of the truck just trying to be as accurate as possible.

If cash was not an issue I would do the bumper/winch when I do the OME lift kit. That just is not an option. I am planning to do the full OME lift kit w/LR UCA and upgrade rear leafs. Want to do this right.

When the day comes to add the front bumper and winch it will be just slightly under 200lbs.

Has anyone run the 886 in a similar set up with out the extra weight of the aftermarket bumper? Is it slightly stiffer than an 885 or is it super stiff and uncomfortable?

If I went with an 885 today and then added the bumper later about how much sag should I expect?

Check out my build. I JUST installed it today (full OME with 886x coils in front and no added weight)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
oh, and it rides like a champ! I haven't even got it aligned yet and it rides mo better than stock.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
oh, and it rides like a champ! I haven't even got it aligned yet and it rides mo better than stock.
Just looked at your build, nice truck. Think you could put some more pics up? This question has come up several times and no one wanted to be the guinea pig, it would be a good reference post or even in your build thread.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Great info so far, I really appreciate it! My biggest issue is I lack a reference point as I have never ridden on 885's or 886's. Is the difference as extreme as 885's are like riding on a cloud and are 886's like riding on a jack hammer or is it more like 885's feel close to the OEM when the truck was new and the 886's are going to be slightly stiffer but nothing you can't get use to in a week.....?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great info so far, I really appreciate it! My biggest issue is I lack a reference point as I have never ridden on 885's or 886's. Is the difference as extreme as 885's are like riding on a cloud and are 886's like riding on a jack hammer or is it more like 885's feel close to the OEM when the truck was new and the 886's are going to be slightly stiffer but nothing you can't get use to in a week.....?
I only rode on my stock suspension for a little while but there isn't much of a difference between 885s and stock. Just a little more 'firm' on the bumps and what not, nothing I could complain about and nothing I couldn't get used to after a few weeks and a couple of wheelin trips. Like I said earlier though, if you plan on getting a bumper and winch just do the 886s now, I wouldn't recommend leaving them on for an extended period of time though due to the CV angles you will have.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
I have 886's when I had stock bumper and it was a stiff solid ride. I added a ARB bumper and Warn 8000# and it made a little to no difference in ride still solid. I have 285's Load range E duratracs. No sway bar.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: BIG G
george2pak's Tacoma Gallery
This is my 886+top plate setup : I have a full set relentel skis plate and 285/75/16 tires.

After ARB bumper winch and skids plate I think I dropt 1"1/2. Right now I'm sittind at 38"1/4 off the ground

I wish that there will be stronger coils out there.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george2pak View Post
This is my 886+top plate setup : I have a full set relentel skis plate and 285/75/16 tires.

After ARB bumper winch and skids plate I think I dropt 1"1/2. Right now I'm sittind at 38"1/4 off the ground

I wish that there will be stronger coils out there.
Got any pics of your cv angles with that set up ? and are your coils 886 or 886x ?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I've got sliders and skids on my AC with 886 coils and I don't think the ride is so terrible.
I'm sure it'll be smoother when my bumpers come in but it's fine for the time being.
it will absolutely ride better. i noticed a huge difference when i added the arb and warn winch on my regular cab. like especk had mentioned my truck didn't flex at all but, since the bumper and winch it now flexes pretty decently and feels smoother on the road.

my springs are way stiffer than the ome 886 coils however so maybe with my truck it was more noticeable than with others.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
The sherbet is fermenting........
Sgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud ofSgian has much to be proud of

Navy: test marketing positive thinking
Name: Matt
Sgian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I ran the same set up that you are planning (different UCAs though) for about six months until my Relentless finally got to me. The ride was a little stiffer but not unpleasant in the least. Here is a photo the day after I lifted it:

Now how it looks after the armor:

I would just get the 886 now if I were you. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
george2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge2pak is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Got any pics of your cv angles with that set up ? and are your coils 886 or 886x ?
I have 886 with 1/2 top plate.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How old are the coils ? Are they the new 886x coils ? Did you add the top plate due to sag ?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
Quote:
How old are the coils ? Are they the new 886x coils ? Did you add the top plate due to sag ?
2 and half years old. They are NOT the 886X. They are regular 886. Yes I added the top plate because it sag and had a lot of rubbing.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george2pak View Post
2 and half years old. They are NOT the 886X. They are regular 886. Yes I added the top plate because it sag and had a lot of rubbing.
OK , ya , that makes sense

Just wanted to clarify for the OP as the new 886x coils should have the same sag issues as the older coils and shouldn't need the top plate spacer
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK , ya , that makes sense

Just wanted to clarify for the OP as the new 886x coils should have the same sag issues as the older coils and shouldn't need the top plate spacer
What is the difference between 886 and 886x?