Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Broken leaf spring found today!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Alby22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Broken leaf spring found today!

Hi, my name is Al, and I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 4x4 Tacoma Sport Double Cab with 123,000 miles that rides like sh**, so I have been looking into getting the "highly-recommended" bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks to improve my overall ride. Today, I noticed a slight lean on the drivers side (looking from the rear) so I crawled underneath to take a look, and found a broken leaf!

As I am new to all of this, please give me some advice as to how I should repair, and the money that this repair will cost me. Thanks in advance to any advice!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Skip the 5100s, get OME shocks and coil springs and the Dakar leaf pack
Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Skip the 5100s, get OME shocks and coil springs and the Dakar leaf pack
How much cash (in your opinion) is this gonna cost? Also, where can I buy this stuff?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lookin at like $1,000 for the whole setup. Check out DownSouth Motorsports. good guys to deal with
Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100s would be a good addition and the Deaver leaf pack.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
Lookin at like $1,000 for the whole setup. Check out DownSouth Motorsports. good guys to deal with
Will that replace all of the leaf's, or just the broken one?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby22 View Post
Will that replace all of the leaf's, or just the broken one?
You should replace both leaf packs, springs, and front and rear shocks. You are about due. And ya about $1000 bucks should cover it.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...urbishing.html

not sure of his method of shipping though.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
"the soulless ginger"

It's both leaf packs, new front coils, and all 4 shocks. Youll have to get leaf spring bushings from wheelers off road. Freight on the leafs was $85 for me because they're overweight. The ride is better than stock IMO and its a nice lift. Do your research though and make your own decision.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not trying to start a violent debate among all of you helpful people, but what are the advantages of using OME vs. Bilstein, and Deaver leaf packs vs. Dakar rear leaf springs? BTW, I am not looking to buy big tires, or lift my truck (maybe level it out a bit), I just want to stop bottoming out, improve the ride of my truck, and still be able to do some moderate off roading (I hunt, therefore, I need to get dirty, now and then)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
There's an ad in the market place right now for brand new leaf springs and shocks (stock) for a good price. I think he wanted 150 for the leaf springs.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the lInk to his ad: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5384350
Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
There's an ad in the market place right now for brand new leaf springs and shocks (stock) for a good price. I think he wanted 150 for the leaf springs.
This. If you just want your leafs un-broken, a replacement stock pack is in order. But dear god, don't pay what the dealer wants for them...get them used for a song.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Thanks, Mxpatriot, I am talking to him now
Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
yours lasted a lot longer than mine, reg cab with only 48000 miles and snapped the same spring. what i'm getting at is replacing with stock might not get you that far.. i just put dakars on, it wasn't cheap but i think in the long run will be worth it. you will end up with around 3inches of rear lift though if you go this way and of course will want to do something with the front to match things up.
Thanks for the input, definately worth thinking about. my brain is mush....I've been reading about suspension options on this site for about 5 hours, now...uuuggggghhh
Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Alby22,

I would suggest taking your truck to a spring shop and getting an estimate to replace the one broken spring and add one spring to each side. My guess would be $300-350 installed. There should be several spring shops in Columbus and there is Black's Spring in Zanesville or S&S near Gratiot.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #18
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
Alby22,

I would suggest taking your truck to a spring shop and getting an estimate to replace the one broken spring and add one spring to each side. My guess would be $300-350 installed. There should be several spring shops in Columbus and there is Black's Spring in Zanesville or S&S near Gratiot.
Aha, a local! thanks wolftree. Have you ever heard of, or dealt with McCoy's 4x4 in Grove City, or Trails West? I am really leaning towards getting an OME lift with Dakar rear leaf springs, or another 1.5-2 inch lift. i have been wanting to get new shocks, and beef up the rear so I will stop bottoming out, so I wanted to go to one of these shops to get an estimate.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Alby22, I have heard of trails West, but never dealt with either shop. The $300 installed is a quote from both Blacks and S&S for installing one additional spring to a Tacoma Rear Suspension. Add the $50 for replacing the broken spring at the same time. A local spring shop will give you exactly the ride and lift with alignment and a waranty, that you want. They can install the shocks while they install the springs real cheap. Springs are their business. For myself, I would not even consider anyone beyond a local spring shop. They will have your truck in and out in under an hour.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
Alby22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
Alby22, I have heard of trails West, but never dealt with either shop. The $300 installed is a quote from both Blacks and S&S for installing one additional spring to a Tacoma Rear Suspension. Add the $50 for replacing the broken spring at the same time. A local spring shop will give you exactly the ride and lift with alignment and a waranty, that you want. They can install the shocks while they install the springs real cheap. Springs are their business. For myself, I would not even consider anyone beyond a local spring shop. They will have your truck in and out in under an hour.
Thanks again, wolftree. Of course, everyone is closed on Sunday's, so I will start making phone calls tomorrow morning.