Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

King Coilover Height Adjustment

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
buggin is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
buggin's Tacoma Gallery
King Coilover Height Adjustment

I purchased some King Coilovers during the last DSM group buy. I got the regular length with the standard spring (not sure of the # rating).

I am famous for cross threading bolts and I dont want to screw these up.

I just threw these on with out adjusting the height before installing. Can I adjust the height without removing and reinstalling?

I have read that it is possible and that I should clean and lube the threads then use the punch like tool to turn the collar, and that the resi will make my life hard. Does anyone have additional tips for how to do this?

Out of the box the shocks gave me a 1" lift. I am going for 2.5" of lift, how many turns or how much thread should be above the collar?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
King Coilover Height Adjustment-photo1-custom-.jpg   King Coilover Height Adjustment-photo1-2-custom-.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't able to adjust them while on the truck until I got the T handle adjuster wrench with the curved tip from King.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskin View Post
I wasn't able to adjust them while on the truck until I got the T handle adjuster wrench with the curved tip from King.
it's called a spanner wrench...

some say it's easier to adjust while on the truck, but others think you can get better leverage and more access with it off the truck... i guess it depends on how much preload you are planning to put on it..
Old 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
oh, and on the truck, lift the truck by the frame and let the suspension droop out so you aren't fighting gravity...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
bskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shedbskin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
it's called a spanner wrench...

some say it's easier to adjust while on the truck, but others think you can get better leverage and more access with it off the truck... i guess it depends on how much preload you are planning to put on it..
King told me they didn't make the spanner wrench anymore just the T handle adjuster wrench but that was like a year ago.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came with what Kings called a coil nut adjusting tool and Marco at DSM best describe it like a big ass punch. No T handle just a long rod.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #7

bskin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Mine came with what Kings called a coil nut adjusting tool and Marco at DSM best describe it like a big ass punch. No T handle just a long rod.
Yeah you have to buy the T handle one from King but it provides more range and leverage which helps when your adjusting on the truck.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
oh, and on the truck, lift the truck by the frame and let the suspension droop out so you aren't fighting gravity...
This is key.

Edit: I used an allen wrench cut down, and a combo wrench for leverage, as well as a 1/4" drive extension to turn the collar. I cut off about 1/4"drive of the short side of the allen wrench to turn the collar, cutting it eill allow you to turn the collar almost inside the coilbucket to gain access to the other hole when the joint of the collar is exposed
Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if my SAW spanner wrench works with my Kings.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Use two (that's key) punches to turn the collars. It's a hell of a lot easier if you can use the force from both arms.

Droop the front suspension to make life easier.

Most coilovers 1 full turn of the adjustment collar = 1/8in of lift, up or down depending on whether you're tightening or loosening.

As for how much collar YOU will need exposed, that depends on how much weight is riding on them. If you have 1in of lift now and are going for 2.5", give the collar approximately 12 turns, put the truck on the ground, drive a few miles, then re-measure on a flat surface.

Repeat until you have your desired ride height.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came with a punch to adjust. Was a total pain, even on the truck it was hard due to stuff getting in the way.

This is how mine look right now. Set for 3" of lift. 3/4 inch of thread. 700# springs w/ Front plate bumper/winch, Full Skids.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytfu510 View Post
Mine came with a punch to adjust. Was a total pain, even on the truck it was hard due to stuff getting in the way.

This is how mine look right now. Set for 3" of lift. 3/4 inch of thread. 700# springs w/ Front plate bumper/winch, Full Skids.
IIRC most Kings come with 650# springs, so they would need more preload.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
buggin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the assistance, got it worked out using the punch. Exposed another 3/4 inch and got a little over 1" lift. Need to get uac's before going higher, to keep it semi aligned. I will post a pic later.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
buggin's Tacoma Gallery
Also Added All Pro Expo Leaf pack and fox shocks. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails
King Coilover Height Adjustment-img_20120716_193119-custom-.jpg   King Coilover Height Adjustment-img_20120716_192938-custom-.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

looks good.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
IIRC most Kings come with 650# springs, so they would need more preload.
when I had ordered mine, via the dsm group buy, I was told by marco that 600#s came with teh coilovers, unless you specified you wanted a heavier duty coil. I got 650#s just so I dont have to run a swaybar and not have to crank down on them to compensate
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
buggin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
when I had ordered mine, via the dsm group buy, I was told by marco that 600#s came with teh coilovers, unless you specified you wanted a heavier duty coil. I got 650#s just so I dont have to run a swaybar and not have to crank down on them to compensate
Interesting, I don't have a heavy bumper or wench so I didn't opt for heavier duty coils. I didn't know a heavier coil allowed for better control without a swaybar. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggin View Post
Interesting, I don't have a heavy bumper or wench so I didn't opt for heavier duty coils. I didn't know a heavier coil allowed for better control without a swaybar. Thanks.
I'm also running without sway. The truck rides a lot better without it and I can still corner well. ( keep in mind I'm on 700# springs )
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
buggin's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know. I am going to take the swaybar off and see how it does. I can always put them back on if I need to tow something. No big deal.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
anyone know which side is left and which is right acording to king....
this is for the resi mounts....
why would they use right n left instead of driver / pass. ?????