Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Will stock UCA's fit over King coilovers?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Cash127 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Will stock UCA's fit over King coilovers?

I'm sure this has been asked before and apologies in advance for what I'm sure is a stupid question.

Little background. I have a 2012 TRD Sport DC coming soon and have ordered a King suspension setup for it which I'm told will give about 4" of lift.

My question is will the stock UCA's fit over the new coilovers? Will I need UCA's at all? Are they a must if I was any sort of alignment?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Yes...but DON'T run it at 4" that would be plain stupid......2.5" max
Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Dont run them higher then 2.5 and you will probably need new uca's too, look at total chaos, dsm, bud built, icon, all pro and camburg....
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Ok cool thanks for the heads up. I'm assuming because the ride would be incredibly stiff? Can I adjust them after they've been put on the truck with the proper tool from King?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
they will be stiff but you will also have almost no down travel and if your a 4x4 your cv's will absolutely hate you, and king does have a tool to help adjust them easier...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Another stupid question but where do you measure the 2.5" from? The top of the coilover?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
The threads
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
The threads
Wrong if you have 2.5 inches of threads your actual lift will be higher. I did that will my icons and they were wayyyy to high. I measured from teh center of my hub to the fender. Once i got that i just cranked them up until i got +2.5 from were i started...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the best way to measure it if it's already too high when I get the truck?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
let me go take a pic of mine so you'll have a comparison...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
OK heres mine theres about 20 threads showing and i got about 2.5~ inches of lift from it
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #13

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect exactly what I was getting at. Thanks.

As for the rear I guess I'll just have to mess with the new leaf packs I'm getting until the ride height is what I want? Or is there a way to adjust the rear shock for height as well as stiffness?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
What setup do you have in the rear?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #15

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
I'm didn't source the lift package myself so I don't know exactly what it is but I know its new leaf packs and King shocks for sure. Just not sure about the leaf pack size or brand.
Based on that I'll have to wait and see what comes in and deal with it before it gets installed I guess.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
oh ok, well whatever kinda leafs they are thats what the ride height will be you cant adjust those
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash127 View Post
My question is will the stock UCA's fit over the new coilovers?
Yes. Typically the 2.5" dia. coilover have the same spring coil diameter as the stock spring. See:

Quote:
Will I need UCA's at all? Are they a must if I was any sort of alignment?
If you go over 2.5" of lift, aftermarket UCAs will be necessary to correct caster.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #19

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Being a newb at this stuff sucks but I'll get there haha
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #20

Cash127's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Yes. Typically the 2.5" dia. coilover have the same spring coil diameter as the stock spring. See:

If you go over 2.5" of lift, aftermarket UCAs will be necessary to correct caster.
Right on thanks for the visuals.

TC UCA's seems to be one of the more popular ones but I'm thinking I might want something a little heavier to go with the Kings