Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Will 5100's set at .85 help clear tires?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
beeesmitty is on a distinguished road

beeesmitty's Tacoma Gallery
Will 5100's set at .85 help clear tires?

Hi all,

265/75/16 BFG's, MB TKO 16,8.5 wheels. Mudflaps off.

I am having some rubbing on the rear of the front fender while turning going forward and rubbing on the front of the front fender while turning in reverse.

My question for you guys is will 5100's set at .85 remedy this rubbing, or do I have to trim regardless? I don't want to trim and raise it. I don't mind doing one or the other, but not both unless it is imperative. I would only put the 5100's on only to fix the rubbing as I don't care to raise the truck.

What are you guys thoughts? raise it and see if I still need to trim, or just trim it and forget about the 5100's? Looking for 1st hand knowledge about .85 being enough for clearance. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
ehh... its hard to say if 0.85" of lift will prevent the rubbing. but, for certain, trimming will prevent the rubbing. and trimming is cheaper than buying new shocks
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Whats the backspaing of the wheels?

4 16X8.5 6-139.7 -6MTB MB TKO- this was on my invoice

16x8.5 -6mm offset (4.5"BS) - found this online
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Lift has zero effect in rubbing... you will still rub in compression and eventually damage something.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeesmitty View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

4 16X8.5 6-139.7 -6MTB MB TKO- this was on my invoice

16x8.5 -6mm offset (4.5"BS) - found this online
The 0.85 would likely alleviate the rubbing when not flexed.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Lift has zero effect in rubbing... you will still rub in compression and eventually damage something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The 0.85 would likely alleviate the rubbing when not flexed.
So trimming will keep from rubbing in compression/flexed?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So trimming will keep from rubbing in compression/flexed?
That's highly dependent on how much trimming you are willing to do.

With the 265's, I wouldn't expect you to have to do much. You're just rubbing slightly because the wheels you selected stick out 2.5" more than stock.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

Thanks,

I guess I could do both. I'm just mainly concerned with premature wear/integrity of the suspension by raising it.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks,

I guess I could do both. I'm just mainly concerned with premature wear/integrity of the suspension by raising it.
there will be very little wear at 0.85" of lift. you need to get to 3 or more inches to cause wear.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Do not worry about wear if under 2.5" of lift.

Do worry about rubbing with new UCAs, tires 11.5" wide or wider, tires 33" tall or taller.

Clearance can be as simple as removing the mudflaps or as complicated as a cab mount chop, hammering pich weld, trimming fender metal, and heavy plastic cutting of both the flare and fender liner. Depends on your installed components.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to do a little trimming this evening and see if I can take care of it.