1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me: Which lift for my trucks situation?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RtacomaN, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    RtacomaN

RtacomaN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    My problem is that I don't know how to handle the lift issue. What setup would be ideal for a higher mileage truck? is it a waste to do 5100's and all the goodies if I hardly drive it and it is this old? Saving money would just be going on to the next truck or other expenses but still. Any information is appreciated I am open to all kinds of recommendations but please give reasons why.
    Thanks all,

2. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Background info if your interested or it helps

Okay, So I have a 99 tacoma 4x4 with 160,000 on it all stock mechanically I will have the truck for at least a year but most likely two to three until I upgrade and pass it on down to my brother. Being in college very close to campus and only 60 miles from parents I hardly put any miles on my vehicles. (about 3000 last year) I don't wheel my truck but do take it "offroad" for fishing or camping etc but nothing hard at all the four wheelers get us through the hairy situations haha. I do like the look of the lift and will need new tires soon and figured I would lift as well and do the whole package. My last truck was an 06 that I bought set up with 5100's and aal in the rear with 33's and I liked it alot.

I do like to "do things right" and I will be passing the truck on to family so I don't want it to die on him so I was researching what to do for this truck and entertained myself with the spacers good/ bad debate here. I had thought they were bad and it seems both sides are debated heavily.

THe truck has had routine maintainance but was used as a hunting truck before me and I noticed some wear on the plastics so some wear must be present on the trucks suspension. I also read that trucks with higher mileage should be treated differently then brand new trucks in regards to which kit is better like since the suspension is pretty loose from years of wear and tear a lift kit that stiffens ride quality may make it closer to when it was off the lot.

3. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    i would just got with the 5100's its a good and fairly cheap lift through some 32's or 33's and call it good.... Also 160,XXX miles isnt alot theres tons of 1st gens running over 200,000k and going strong :cool:

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Yea I know its not high high for the trucks and I won't ditch it haha I will be considered low miles before long with my driving habits but with 160,000 on the stock components I didn't know if that made a difference on anyones recommendation. I saw some people purposely go with a lift that would give stiffer ride quality due to how loose their truck was riding.

5. Jul 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    idk about all that man sorry.... maybe post up in the 1st gen section and see what they say there :notsure:

6. Jul 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Yea , I may try it if suspension is mostly second gen now.

7. Jul 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    white toy taco

white toy taco 505 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    a 160k mile tacoma is not old. i would jsut go with a 3" suspension lift. a.k.a new front springs/ shocks and new leafs/shocks

8. Jul 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    What brand would you go with or what set up? What do you think that would run me?

9. Jul 19, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    white toy taco

white toy taco 505 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    eibach 3" lift springs with bilstein 5100's are widely used on TW. brand new they would be like $450. for the rear, i would rebuild your rear leafs if you can. if not, you could get a 2" Add-A-Leaf. not sure how much these would be but there not expensive

10. Jul 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Ah I see, thanks for the information man.

Products Discussed in

To Top