Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alcan Problem?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Alcan Problem?

I asked this in another thread but it kinda got glossed over.

Truck: 2001 Double cab 4x4
Billstein 5100 in the rear
sway away 2.0 in front
Leer camper shell

I recently got a pair of Alcan springs made. Specs were stock height and 300 lbs over stock load capacity. Initially the sat nearly flat which I figured was normal and axle wrap was eliminated. After about a week or so the springs started to sagg and axle wrap started to come back.

My question is, is this normal for tacoma springs to sit with a negative arch even with 300lbs over stock?

I talked to Bill at Alcan twice since I installed them, he says its totally normal and not sure what I find wrong. I won't go into details as I'm still waiting on a response back after I talked to him today. As of now, not too happy with the attitude, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they're fine, or maybe he'll make it right.

Thanks

Today

This if a few days/week after install

Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
I have a second gen, ordered an alcan leaf pack from wheelers offroad, after the install the leafs were completely flat.

wheelers said it wasnt normal, and bill didnt offer much support for his product. This might not be much help to you, except for confirming that they shouldnt be flat like that.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did that too with a camper shell. But they still gave me the lift and had about the same load capacity..So I didn't worry about it. But I know, it's frustrating.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
I have a second gen, ordered an alcan leaf pack from wheelers offroad, after the install the leafs were completely flat.

wheelers said it wasnt normal, and bill didnt offer much support for his product. This might not be much help to you, except for confirming that they shouldnt be flat like that.
Weird he kept telling me it was totally normal and to go to a dealership and look at new trucks and they would be the same. I told him there was one sitting next to mine and it had positive arch, though it was a 2nd gen base. He said springs don't care which way they lay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
Mine did that too with a camper shell. But they still gave me the lift and had about the same load capacity..So I didn't worry about it. But I know, it's frustrating.
Yeah, it's a lot of money, I could have gone another route for cheaper but didn't want to because I figured they would be quality.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Yeah, it's a lot of money, I could have gone another route for cheaper but didn't want to because I figured they would be quality.
I was told they lay more towards the neutral/flat side for a better ride.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
I was told they lay more towards the neutral/flat side for a better ride.
Yeah thats what I thought they would be at, the shell only weighs 150 lbs + and I've got 300lbs over stock
Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
My AP stands are arched a ton....that's not normal for aftermarket springs.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
My AP stands are arched a ton....that's not normal for aftermarket springs.
Its supposed to ride at stock height, no lift.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Its supposed to ride at stock height, no lift.
I cant read
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #10

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, it happens.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
problem: you threw away money for alcan shit springs.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #12

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
problem: you threw away money for alcan shit springs.
Care to elaborate.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
alaskacreeker is on a distinguished road
alaskacreeker's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my current issue with Alcan Spring. I also was sent a bad pair of springs and currently they won't fix them or refund my money (they also have my springs, so I've got nothing). Part my fault, but definitely part theirs too...here is the thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...52#post1160452

Timmy
www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
My Wheelers 5-leaf pack made by Alcans is more arched then those.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what my Wheeler's 5-pack by Alcans look:
Attached Thumbnails
Alcan Problem?-img_1080.jpg   Alcan Problem?-img_1081.jpg   Alcan Problem?-img_1082.jpg   Alcan Problem?-img_1083.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Springs with more leaves with stock ride height will sit flatter than stock. That is physics and geometry. The fact a lift spring has more arch is also simple physics and geometry. You are using stock shackles and spring hangers. Think a little before posting things that make you sound like someone with a 4th grade education.

If you dont want flat springs get lift springs... problem solved.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #18

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacreeker View Post
Here is my current issue with Alcan Spring. I also was sent a bad pair of springs and currently they won't fix them or refund my money (they also have my springs, so I've got nothing). Part my fault, but definitely part theirs too...here is the thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...52#post1160452

Timmy
www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com
Sounds about the same experience I've had, good thing I didn't send them back Not to mention I could buy a set of cheaper leafs for the cost of shipping. I called them asking for advice not demanding money back, new leafs etc. and was treated very poorly. I don't want to go into specifics because it's still ongoing, they are really bad at calling back when they've already been paid Problem is we're super busy at work trying to finish a never ending job so I haven't had a chance to call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
My Wheelers 5-leaf pack made by Alcans is more arched then those.
It should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Here is what my Wheeler's 5-pack by Alcans look:
Not the same, they provide lift, mine are not supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Springs with more leaves with stock ride height will sit flatter than stockYou mean a negative arch?. That is physics and geometry. The fact a lift spring has more arch is also simple physics and geometry. You are using stock shackles and spring hangers. Think a little before posting things that make you sound like someone with a 4th grade education.Sorry I dropped out in 3rd grade

If you dont want flat springs get lift springs... problem solved.Hmmm please direct me to where I said I didn't want flat springs? or could it be sagging springs? That's where you were sick in 4th grade right? during the reading comprehension lessons?

I mean really... "My no lift springs have less arch than lift springs" is about the dumbest conversation I can think you can have in a suspension forum. Not sure where I stated that Others have compared mine to lifted springs I don't believe I did, can you please quote me?
I really hope this isn't directed at me, if it is you might want to go back to 4th grade and ask for a lesson in reading comprehension.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Springs with more leaves with stock ride height will sit flatter than stock. That is physics and geometry. The fact a lift spring has more arch is also simple physics and geometry. You are using stock shackles and spring hangers. Think a little before posting things that make you sound like someone with a 4th grade education.

If you dont want flat springs get lift springs... problem solved.

I mean really... "My no lift springs have less arch than lift springs" is about the dumbest conversation I can think you can have in a suspension forum.
Really? Insulting the OP's intelligence for asking a question about a product he paid a good chunk of change for?

good way to be an unhelpful cunty doucheface. reported.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #20

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Really? Insulting the OP's intelligence for asking a question about a product he paid a good chunk of change for?

good way to be a inhelpful cunty doucheface. reported.
Thanks. Some people have issues.

Its not like I came on here bashing alcan saying they're shit etc that's not my style, I said their CS sucks because its true. Just asking advice because I don't no these things, the only other trucks i've driven have been f-250 and 350s.