Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

LR UCA Install Help

Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
bassfan is on a distinguished road
bassfan's Tacoma Gallery
LR UCA Install Help

Well, based on the video and install guide...I didn't think this was going to be much to get these LR UCAs in. I'm comfortable working on trucks and this is my second taco...I spent 2.5 hours tonight, have one side done and called it quits til morning. I cut the bolt on the drivers side one (got passenger side done) but don't really see how I can get it out. In the picture, you can see the black lines that its hitting right before it comes out (next to the end of the bolt). I think with enough time and effort, I can probably get it out but I don't really see how I am going to get the new bolt in. May end up having to bend the fender and go the other way with it.

Are these the gas lines that people are speaking of? Not sure because I thought the little lines that are bolted down were the gas lines. How am I supposed to get these larger black lines out of the way to get the new bolt in? The bolt head is surely not going to go around them. Is this something new on 2012s...cause I can't be the only one that has this issue if not.

It was a giant pain in the gonads to get the big washers on the inside of the bushings when putting the new UCA in as well. I got the passenger side done, but it was with much effort. It's so tight that its quite difficult to hold the washers and UCA up there and get everything together and aligned to get the bolt through.

Ugh...more of a project than I was hoping but I'll give it another go in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
LR UCA Install Help-bolt.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Just bend / cut the fender outward (toward yourself) the bolt has a little 'play' in it, not much but enough to have a little wiggle room. When you have the bolt back in just use a hammer & beat the fender back to its place & you won't even notice any damage once the skirt is on.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine out the front. Remove the battery and bend the sheet metal back. If you have an extra set of hands it's a little easier. I reinstalled mine same was factory did it. Use a crecent wrench with a cloth over the metal. when you think you have it bent enough, bend a little more. I never bothered to bend mine back. With a buddy putting the bolt in you can hold the first set of washers and get the bolt through it to hold them in and then work on the other set.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Cut the bolt in half again.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Cut the bolt in half again.
This ^^
Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
bassfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^
Ya that works to get it out but doesn't really help getting the new one in.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
bassfan's Tacoma Gallery
Well I started back at 6am and had the wheels back on and tools put away by 7am this morning. I had to take a couple nuts off and move the little clip brackets in order to move those black lines just enough to get the bolt out and new one in. Pushing on the lines to the side really hard while pulling on the bolt with the other hand did the trick. It wasn't easy by any means but got it done.

For those that bend the sheet metal to get this done...I dont see how that would have worked at all on my drivers side. The metal is directly in line with the bolt hole all the way up to where it curves back (if that makes sense). I would have had to bend it ALOT to make room for the new bolt head. Not just taking channel locks and bending it, it looked like I would have had to move a lot of metal out of the way.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Slow lane cruiser
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF Firefighter gone legit
Name: Another Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Just bend / cut the fender outward (toward yourself) the bolt has a little 'play' in it, not much but enough to have a little wiggle room. When you have the bolt back in just use a hammer & beat the fender back to its place & you won't even notice any damage once the skirt is on.
^this. When we did Fennywald and Superwhite's LR UCAs we just bent the fender out with a pair of vicegrips, pulled the bolt, change UCAs, put bolt back, and then bent fender as close to where it should be as possible. Looked fine after.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfan View Post
Ya that works to get it out but doesn't really help getting the new one in.
Put them back in backwards
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
NeTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jameson
NeTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
New bolts in backwards
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeTacoma View Post
New bolts in backwards
Welcome. It doesn't matter which way it goes.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Welcome. It doesn't matter which way it goes.
True

It's just easier to put them back in backwards
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
why are you guys even cutting these bolts to begin with take a BFH a punch and make that bolt your bitch and get it out the proper way.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteupp View Post
why are you guys even cutting these bolts to begin with take a BFH a punch and make that bolt your bitch and get it out the proper way.
I didn't cut mine , don't have an aneurysm
Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I didn't cut mine , don't have an aneurysm
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
NeTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jameson
NeTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Ha I did my uca's this morning, cut the old bolts out, put in the new uca's, with new bolts. Done under an hour. Or you could mess around with trying to get those bolts out...
Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Put them back in backwards
Is this ok? Does it make a diff? I can't see why it would, but I'm not the most mechanical guy.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
Is this ok? Does it make a diff? I can't see why it would, but I'm not the most mechanical guy.
It doesn't matter , it's just easier to install them
Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It doesn't matter , it's just easier to install them
Yeah that's what I figured. The shop that did my lift removed the inner fender and everything, said they didn't want to just put it in backwards. Didn't know how much it mattered, cost me an extra couple hundos though.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I took a punch and a hammer and knocked em on through. Done it twice now, second time took no time at all.