Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help on install!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Help on install!

Alright so I have my stock coil/strut assembly out and was attempting to compress and take them apart, however the upper strut retaining nut or whatever it's called ( the single nut holding everything together on top) refuses to come off. The problem is the upper half of the strut inside the coil is spinning. Any help is greatly appreciated as taking them to les schwab or goodyear or something to say screw it is out of the question as its sunday =/
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingo View Post
Alright so I have my stock coil/strut assembly out and was attempting to compress and take them apart, however the upper strut retaining nut or whatever it's called ( the single nut holding everything together on top) refuses to come off. The problem is the upper half of the strut inside the coil is spinning. Any help is greatly appreciated as taking them to les schwab or goodyear or something to say screw it is out of the question as its sunday =/
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
Use a cresent wrentch on the top of the shaft
Good luck
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to mention that our crescent wrench won't hold it... it is to small for enough leverage, however when I do get a good hold the crescent sort of strips off
Old 07-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Next best bet is vice grip pliers.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I'd take it to a shop where they have the right tools. This can be a dangerous job with out the right tools. Those springs can screw you up pretty bad.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
I've done suspension work before, even though it might not sound like it I know what I'm doing and what can be dangerous ....

update : well I switched crescent wrenches to an old beefier one I forgot I had and used vice grips on the inside of the strut and struggled but eventually got it off. Thanks doods!