Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV angles

Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
CV angles

So who has a 3" lift kit how are your cv angles do you have a diff drop or not. How often do you have to replace your boots or cv.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the time they get ruined is because of wheeling and beating on them when the suspension is at full droop and you are throttling down.

2nd gen diff drop is useless

1st gen diff drop is 99% useless
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i'm going to disagree on the 2nd gen diff drop being completely useless. my cv angles where fucking horrible lol and with out that diff drop i'm sure it would have been the end of my differential. my situation was rather unique but, it happened and i believe that the diff drop did make a little difference albeit not much.

supra knows way way more about this than i do but, in my particular situation i do believe it helped.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Math alert:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Im gonna go full nerd...

laws of right triangle calculation doesnt lie.... even if your diff drop does drop the axle 1/8" or even 3/16" (which i dont think it does)

due to laws of a triangle where the Hypotenuse is the length of the drive shaft at the pivot points (about 16")

and the opposite being the height difference between the inside and outside of the axle ( on my 2.5" of lift this is about .5")

acoording the laws of a triangle (sin angle= opposite/ hypotenuse) the angle is = to sinx= .5/16= a drive shaft angle of 1.79 degrees

with a diff drop changing the height of the opposite side 1/8" we need to take .5- .125

this changes the opposite side to .375. so sinx= .375/16= 1.34 degrees

since the hypotenuse remains fairly constant whether the drop is 1/2" or 2"s a .125" drop in the opposite side only yields less than 1/2 of one degree...
Graphed:

Overlay:

05+ rotates the front differential rather than dropping it. It does a decent job of shifting the gear oil away from the pinion bearings but not much for the CV angles.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Torn 3 sets of boots

Gotta pay to play
Shattered 1 upper oil pan and cracked 1 front differential mount when it got hooked on a rock because the differential drop left it vulnerably low.

I'll replace boots all day to avoid dealing with that again.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Someones welds failed on that skid plate! ^
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing would have helped it with that kind of impact, except of course for not having components hanging low enough to get hung up on the terrain.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I say just watch the boots very closely to be sure they aren't torn or pulled off. if they do fix 'em right away. I haven't had my lift on for very long, nor done any rock crawling but have had no trouble with boots or CV joints ...
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm not a hard wheeler just a little here and there nothing to technical just like to get a little dirty every now and then I have a 3" toytec and had the diff drop in but had to take it off to put me ato skid on and yes my cv angles look worse now I just wanted to see what your opinions were I have steel machined spaced that i made to put on between the plate and frame if I want to put the diff drop back in but I'm not sure what to do
Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Leave it off and replace the boots when they tear. Even if you feel the diff drop is helping, they'll still tear in time. Maintenance is inevitable.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #12

Do you replace the whole cv or can you just replace a boot is there a right up on how to do so
Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #13

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Just the boot. The kit from Toyota come with inner and outer boots, clamps, and grease for around $30. It'll take you around 4 hours your first time and less after you know how to disassemble the front end and get the axle out.

The axle nut requires a 35mm socket. Everything else is basic hand tools. Remove the spindle, pry the axle out of the front differential, remove the inner tripod from the axle, slide the outer boot off the inner end of the axle, reassemble. It's an easy, messy job.

If you don't wheel hard it's often easier just to buy a cheap aftermarket axle already assembled and swap out the assembly. They're only $60 or so with core exchange. The cheapies aren't as strong as factory stuff but you'll only notice if you really push your truck offroad with a heavy throttle and larger tires.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
The cheapies aren't as strong as factory stuff but you'll only notice if you really push your truck offroad with a heavy throttle and larger tires.
Have you broken a "cheapy"?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
my buddy Silas (Slodgetto) has snapped 3 of the Napa CV's. he is also locked up front so its different. ive heard that the OEM toyota ones are stronger
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Math alert:

Graphed:

Overlay:

05+ rotates the front differential rather than dropping it. It does a decent job of shifting the gear oil away from the pinion bearings but not much for the CV angles.
NERDY!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
I haven't but it's because I'm LT and run the longer chromoly axle shafts. Never had a chance to put the aftermarket axles through their paces.

Note that a locked front diff will put a much greater load on the shafts. Even still, snapping 3 is impressive! WTT, does Silas stay on the throttle when his truck starts hopping? The loading/unloading of components will snap even the beefiest of parts pretty quick.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
my buddy Silas (Slodgetto) has snapped 3 of the Napa CV's. he is also locked up front so its different. ive heard that the OEM toyota ones are stronger
I know. That's the thing. Everyone has "heard the Toyota ones are stronger". I'm just trying to find out if that's actually true.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only person who remembers hearing the aftermarket ones were stronger?

am i so old that i'm making up memories now?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #20

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Probably.

On the plus side, Alzheimer's could be a useful excuse for erratic drunken moderating.