Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Opinions on Top Plate Spacer or leveling kit

Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on Top Plate Spacer or leveling kit

ok, so I'm super cheap, so I wanted a lift at lowest cost, basically takes out those $1K suspension lifts or billies 5100, and I already have a skyjacker 2'' leveling kit

http://www.topguncustomz.com/p-4482-...lift-kit-.aspx

question 1: is that the same as a top plate spacer?

question 2: on ebay these leveling kits look the same as coil spacers? how do i tell the difference, if they are different?

I read from chris4x4 that top plate spacers can cause premature wear to ball joints, and how bad would it be to use this, or a 3'' spacer?

I wanted to get a lift as cheap as possible, so I was thinking about 3'' spacer in front, and 1.5'' add a leaf in rear, should I just stick to this leveling kit, to save my suspension?

also they have 2'' leveling kits on ebay for like $50 shipped, how different is this skyjacker one?

thanks in advance, sorry so many newb q's
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
oaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a 2" top plate spacer on my DC, it gave me the perfect amount of lift for a level truck, i went round and round on what to do but ended up going with the spacer because i dont go offroadin with my truck (if you do id go with the billies) i was able to get a little more lift than with a set of billies because they would have only given me 1.75" (2.5"would be too high) and the top plate spacer doesnt preload the springs, it actually rides better than before. spacers get a bad wrap on this site which i can understand if its an in coil spacer, but the top plate ones are a good option for some, however i wouldnt go over 2.5", then you may run the risk of some premature wear.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaker View Post
I just installed a 2" top plate spacer on my DC, it gave me the perfect amount of lift for a level truck, i went round and round on what to do but ended up going with the spacer because i dont go offroadin with my truck (if you do id go with the billies) i was able to get a little more lift than with a set of billies because they would have only given me 1.75" (2.5"would be too high) and the top plate spacer doesnt preload the springs, it actually rides better than before. spacers get a bad wrap on this site which i can understand if its an in coil spacer, but the top plate ones are a good option for some, however i wouldnt go over 2.5", then you may run the risk of some premature wear.
i think i'm most likely going to go with that option, i just started getting some ideas on how i should maximize the install, because another member was going to help me install some used trd billies and i already have the leveling kit, so i figured why not just go 3 inches while we're doing it, and i don't offroad either, but good call on the excess wear, and this way, i don't have to touch the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
I was looking at those lifts on eBay too.
Spacer in front for 3" & a 2" block or aal in the rear for $125 shipped.
yea that was the route i was gonna take, i just can't figure out why it's soo much cheaper
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do NOT get a spacer lift of any kind. What youve read about them messing up the rest of your suspension is true. you can go to DSM and get billies (front and rear) for $300. Probably a bit more than you wanted to pay but its better to do it right than have issues down the road.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTaco View Post
Do NOT get a spacer lift of any kind. What youve read about them messing up the rest of your suspension is true. you can go to DSM and get billies (front and rear) for $300. Probably a bit more than you wanted to pay but its better to do it right than have issues down the road.
yea man, i know you're right, but it's that upfront cost that deterring me, i appreciate the advice though
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Get 5100s.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
oaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shedoaker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
top spacer or billies, the change in the angle is still the same.....as long as you dont exceed 2.5" itll be ok.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #9

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Get 5100s.
after wildcattaco's advice, i was kinda thinking bout just getting the fronts, thanks for ur input as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaker View Post
top spacer or billies, the change in the angle is still the same.....as long as you dont exceed 2.5" itll be ok.
i just went outside to look at it, i was thinking the same thing, so i think u just sold me on just using the leveling kit i already have
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #10

oaker's Tacoma Gallery
heres the bottom line:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uspension.html
Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2