Drive shaft binding because of lift?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
kayakred is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt, 1st MarDiv, 1st Recon Bn
Name: Cody Scott
kayakred's Tacoma Gallery
Drive shaft binding because of lift?

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum. Just bought a '04 TRD Off Road w/ 24k miles on it. Crazy low I know. I'm concerned because when I take off there seems to be what feels like binding in the drive shaft. A buddy of mine drove it and came to this conclusion so we might be way off base.

An way it has a Skyjacker 2.5in Suspension Lift and we thought that might be the cause? Has anyone heard/encountered this before?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Does it vibrate when accelerating? Never heard of a driveshaft binding on our trucks.. I have over 9" of lift and no problems with my DS
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Do the pre-05 trucks have driveshaft carrier bearings? Yours could simply be worn out and in need of replacement.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I see TRD. Is your locker unlocked?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

@supra tt- yes it vibrates when taking off from a stop, then it smooths out.

@mjp2- I'm not sure about drive shaft carrier bearings. I just got it on Tuesday so I'll look it that.

@whippersnapper02- As far as I know my rear locker is unlocked, the button is "out" and light is off. I tried pushing the button and driving it, the light for my rear locker was flashing but the shudder was the same. Put it in 4 high and the same thing.

Any other ideas? Thanks guys!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Try greasing up the zerks. Could just be dry. It should have a carrier bearing. Mine '99 did.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #7

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a noob, what's the official name for the "zerks"?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakred View Post
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a noob, what's the official name for the "zerks"?
Grease fitting.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I think that is the official name
They are the nipples you attach the grease gun to when you lube parts.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
where are these fittings under my 2nd gen regular cab? i want to keep everything lubed up lol
Yes. 4wds have them on the driveshafts. I fill them with grease every oil change.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Ah, I think I've always called them grease gun fittings, lol. So the zerks have been lubed.

A buddy of mine called in a favor and got a shop to look at it today. They removed the DS and noticed it binding at the constant velocity joint, and that the rear portion needed to be replaced. So, they said that they could get me one for around $350 parts and labor.

Also, something I noticed that they confirmed was that the hanger bracket had been replaced at some point. Dunno.

But it's all lubed up now so I'll drive it around this weekend and see if that helps. If not I may take them up on the new one. Unless there's an aftermarket upgrade out there?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #13

Here's pic of the new hanger bracket:

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #14
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakred View Post
Here's pic of the new hanger bracket:

That is a pic of your carrier bearing. You need a drop in it to get better angles on your drive shaft at ride height if you are lifted.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #15

Thanks DevL, sorry for the delay in response. So is this drop in my carrier barrier something I could do with longer bolts and spacers, or would I need to buy a new one with the drop built in.

Also, I'm running a 2.5 in lift, is there a length of drop you could recommend or point me in the direction of that answer?

Lastly, could the incorrect angles, caused by the lack of drop, be causing the "shudder" I'm feeling on take off?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #16

So I took the truck in to my local 4x4 shop. They looked it over to make sure the lift was installed correctly and check out my shudder.

They found a couple things to tighten on the lift but other than that its all good.

As for the shudder they threw in some spacers to drop my carrier bearing down about 1/2 an inch. This helped to reduce the length of time the DS shuddered but made it more intense.

Dunno, I'll keep digging..