1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which pro comp shocks give lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RtacomaN, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Jul 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    RtacomaN

RtacomaN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Out of the pro comp shocks here
    Which would provide lift? I know the adjustable ones would but do the others?

Has anyone ran a pro comp suspension set up with the shocks coils and an aal?

2. Jul 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    shocks don't give lift the aal and the front springs do.

i have there 3 inch kit as do others but, they are a no good on the 4cyls unless you plan on adding alot of weight to the front of your truck and even then their spring rates are overkill.

in the suspension section there is a sticky explaining what happened when they sold me this kit and i had it installed. my truck sat at 4.75 inches above stock height!

3. Jul 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Yes forgive my terms used incorrectly. and wow!

Do they make a set up that would give lift for my first gen? some set up along the lines like the 5100, coil, aal combo but with pro comp shocks, springs and aal? I saw how cheap the pro comp shocks were and wondered if this would be a better alternative to the 5100 set up since I don't wheel the truck. It could be a set up that is good to the truck and isn't overkill.

THoughts?

4. Jul 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    is your truck a 4cyl?

edit never mind :facepalm:

i thought you where a 4cyl dude lol i'm not sure i think since you have the v6 you might be ok but, still the spring rates for their 3 inch kits are fucking crazy high you would probably be over 3 inches most every one is with this kit.

i have since added an arb bb and a warn with synth rope and mine is just now starting to behave normally on the road it articulates decent now but, it could be much better if the springs weren't so stiff.

5. Jul 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Cheap lift should not go together. They do not make a lift similar but I would steer away from Pro Comp lifts altogether and just do 5100's as your budget lift. If you don't have enough to spend on a decent lift then save up for them. Like Mike used to say: if you value your truck, put some value into your truck. Do it once and do right. Some company do make a lift shock like Fabtech but that is non adjustable. The spring perch is just set higher therefore preloading the stock coils to yield your lift. But why bother when Bilstein adjustable front shocks are a proven to be they best already for the money?

6. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Sorry by cheap I meant cheaper. I do have plenty to spend on this but not everyones situation is the same, I would like the lifted truck and bigger tires but since I don't wheel it there is no reason for me to spend the money to go full out long travel or spend 2k on a lift for an older truck that is driven to and from home about 3000 miles a year.

But by "doing it right" the bilstein combo needs to be combined with new coils or it essentially is just pre loading the springs in the same way a top plate spacer does. Isn't that what 5100's are? a combo lift of in coil and top plate spacers according to the sticky on this site? So I will agree that they may be the best lift for the money on here but to do it "right" still costs over 1000 installed (5100s all around aal rear ome front coils so I don't over extend on the front) and then your almost better off going with a better lift option.
    But if all you do is buy 5100s for the front it accomplishes nearly the same thing as a spacer but with shinier shocks and the word Bilstein correct?

7. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Top plate spacer sits on top of the coilover therefore pushing the coilover down yielding lift. You can use your stock coils with 5100's. Against 5100's preload the coils by the notch it sits at yielding the lift. Top plate won't give you shit for down travel. It's your truck. Your back. You investement. If you want to go cheap. Just go spacer lift and blocks and save some money. I say save up and do it right so your ride is good. No stressing the stock components. I don't ever recommend anyone to do a spacer lift. I suggest 5100's only. If you want spacer lift then that's on you.

8. Jul 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    And if I had to choose between a spacer setup. I will choose a spacer to go on top of the coilover and not the one that is sammich between the coil and shock.

9. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i can say aside from the issues i had they are well built besides that. after some research i came to find out they are the same as ome shocks they are both built by monroe both are double walled how about that one its true. the only difference is that omes shocks are produced in either the usa or australia while procomp assembles their shocks in usa or mexico.

other than that procomps shocks are white and use a generic valving where as omes shocks are yellow and are valved specific for their springs hence why they articulate and generally provide much more comfort.

the quality is not a concern its the customer service from procomp and the spring rates which where done in house by there engineers and imo way to fucking high even for the v6 models. some that have this kit like it i personally know that ther full 3 inch kits ride much much better ie, softer not as unforgiving.

this in my mind is the only draw back hope this helps sorry about the confusion in my first couple post man i thought you where a regular cab lol

10. Jul 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    RtacomaN

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    I don't need to save up to buy the lift. I can do whatever I choose, its just trying to get myself to justify spending 1200 for a lift plus 800 for tires on a truck that is hardly driven and doesn't get off roaded. Will I sell in 3 years? Unless I develop an intense bond to the work I've done to this truck then yes..
    So the question ultimately is....Do I lift "cheaply" or don't lift at all or do I do the "right" lift and hope that I either keep the truck or take the parts off and sell them with nearly no mileage on them... Decisions decisions...

I totally understand the do it right the first time thing btw if I had a new truck no question my posts would be the "which is the best lift" not "where can I get a good lift and not break the bank now" This situation I have with this truck is already making me come off as cheap .

Yes I agree there.
    Thanks man, A little confused after reading that so do you recommend them or would you stick to the billys? also does pro comp even make a set up to where I could buy coils and the shocks all the way around?

haha as for the truck issue. . I have a few threads going with different questions and in every o ne I think someone has mistaken me for a second gen... or a regular cab in this case haha Idk how but it happens

Products Discussed in

To Top