Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Question about 2-3" of lift

Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Ryan81 is on a distinguished road
Ryan81's Tacoma Gallery
Question about 2-3" of lift

I'm new here and currently own a 2010 Ram but am thinking about selling it and then buying a 07-10 Tacoma Double Cab with 4wd. I like my Ram which is pretty quick but I would like something that is 4wd and that I can have fun with if I want.

I would like 2-3" of lift as cheap as I can without having something that may end up breaking or causing terrible ride quality. If I did end up getting a Tacoma, I would be running 33" tires. Probably 285s or something close to that with a 17 or 18" wheel.

I've been reading some of the stickies and have seen the different coil lift kits. Which is preferred out of the coil spacer, in coil spacer, or combo spacer? Or do yall recommend another method of lifting?

I'll probably just throw an AAL in the back to give me the 2 or 2.5" of lift back there.

Any other information you would like to offer is appreciated.

-Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
The recommended lifts don't include spacers at all; they can cause major damage if you wheel hard enough.

Take a look at the info on the site regarding bilstein 5100s. You can use them with your stock coils to get up to 2.5" if lift, or combine them with relatively cheap coils (toytec) for a full 3".

I ran and wheeled with an aal for awhile, it's fine for getting the rear up a few inches.

In general, we tell people to avoid blocks and spacers if it's within their budget to do so
Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Ryan81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
The recommended lifts don't include spacers at all; they can cause major damage if you wheel hard enough.

Take a look at the info on the site regarding bilstein 5100s. You can use them with your stock coils to get up to 2.5" if lift, or combine them with relatively cheap coils (toytec) for a full 3".

I ran and wheeled with an aal for awhile, it's fine for getting the rear up a few inches.

In general, we tell people to avoid blocks and spacers if it's within their budget to do so
I had looked at the Bilsteins for my Ram but it seemed like they stiffened up the ride when going over bumps and pot holes a good bit but I'll take a look again.

I've heard about the Toytec so I'll look into that as well.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Ryan81's Tacoma Gallery
I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. Might do a 6" lift with some 285/65/18s, Bilstein/Eibach combo to get a full 3" lift with an AAL in the rear, or the OME coil coils with spacer and AAL in the rear. If I went with a coil spring lift I would probably run 275/65 on an 18" rim.

I've been reading that the Eibach isn't as smooth and the 6" suspension lift will be more expensive.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
5100s with Eibach coils will give a good ride since you would be pre loading the coil less to achieve 3 inches of lift.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Ryan81's Tacoma Gallery
Everything I've been reading seems to lead me to the OME setup having the smoother ride though....although both seem to be recommend a bunch.

I might just go with whatever is cheapest which looks to be the Eibach/Bilstein setup.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
5100s with Eibach coils will give a good ride since you would be pre loading the coil less to achieve 3 inches of lift.
2 1/2"
Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
2 1/2"
Close enough.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Whats your budget and where in texas are you at?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Ryan81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Whats your budget and where in texas are you at?
I'm going to try to keep it under 3000 with rims, tires, and lift. I've already budgeted 2000 for the rims/tires so I guess 1000 for the lift.

I'm in Sulphur Springs, Tx.

Also, should I be able to find a double cab, 4wd, V6 from 07-10 with less than 50000 for 23000 or less?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Thats plenty, do the OME lift and get Light Racing UCAS and you'll still have like 1800-1900 for rims and tires....

And yes your should be able to, just keep your eyes open you'll find a great deal if you look long enough... remember dont just settle for a truck you kinda want wait for the one you really want.....

Also welcome to TW they are alot of guys up around dallas to help/answer any of your questions too check out this thread and introduce yourself http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tex...bs-thread.html
Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Ryan81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Thats plenty, do the OME lift and get Light Racing UCAS and you'll still have like 1800-1900 for rims and tires....

And yes your should be able to, just keep your eyes open you'll find a great deal if you look long enough... remember dont just settle for a truck you kinda want wait for the one you really want.....

Also welcome to TW they are alot of guys up around dallas to help/answer any of your questions too check out this thread and introduce yourself http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tex...bs-thread.html
Once I decide on what I want to do exactly I'll probably put my truck on craigslist. Hopefully I can at least get 24 for it. From looking at online dealer prices I might could even get more.

Thanks for info. I'll check out that thread tomorrow sometime.