1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I feel like a dumb ass

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nobody4343, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jul 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    nobody4343

nobody4343 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    hid headlights, black spyder jdm headlight housings, black jdm led spyder taillights, full led bulb swap, hid foglights, 3 inch pro comp lift, black out emblems, two 4 inch hid lights mounted behind the satoshi, wade vent visors, black westin nerf bars, black stubby antenna, k and n cold air intake, flowmaster delta 50 dual exhaust custom black tips, color matched satoshi grill with custom emblem
    Man I feel like a dumbass. Today driving to work a light bulb went off in my head. A few months ago I installed a pro comp 3 inch on my 06 dcsb. I had thought the springs had given me to much lift so I took the spring off and installed the stocks. Well It turns out I forgot all about the daystarr leveling kit I had installed when I first got my truck. I left the bolt extenders on the stock strut mounts so when I installed the pro comp springs I go a total of 5 inches or so instead for 3. That's why my cv angles were so off. I can't believe I didn't catch It then. Now it cost me 2 cv axles and time to install and uninstall just so I can tear it back apart to reinstall the pro comp springs. Epic fail on my part

2. Jul 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    LOL...it happens

3. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    hid headlights, black spyder jdm headlight housings, black jdm led spyder taillights, full led bulb swap, hid foglights, 3 inch pro comp lift, black out emblems, two 4 inch hid lights mounted behind the satoshi, wade vent visors, black westin nerf bars, black stubby antenna, k and n cold air intake, flowmaster delta 50 dual exhaust custom black tips, color matched satoshi grill with custom emblem
    Still feel like an idiot. I lost about 200 bucks because of my simple mistake

4. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    you won't do that again tho.

5. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    :laugh:

holy crap how high was your truck with both on there?

6. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    Damn right I won't it had around 4 1/2-5 inches of lift in the front. I can't believe I didn't think of it until now.

7. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    wow man your lucky you didn't implode your differential :eek:

5 inches of lift those cv's must have been jacked way up. glad you figured that one out everyone has one of these moments along the way though.

8. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    I never went four wheeling or I probably would have. After about 2 weeks with the lift on I pulled off the springs. Today on my way to work a light bulb went on and I just felt like a dumb ass. Just makes me mad I made such a noob mistake

9. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    superswamper003

superswamper003 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hendrik
    N. Snottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    1998 4wd TRD 3.4l Tacoma Xcab 313k miles!!!
    Fox Xtended travel coilovers w/resis, AllPro UCA's, AllPro 3 inch leaflets, 1" Diff Drop, 285/75/16 Bfg KO, 16x8 Black Pro Comp Steelies, AP 1.25" wheel spacers in front, 8 inch Rockford Fosgate sub that bumps like your mother, old school deck, downey headers, cold air intake, grey wire mod, e-locker, hurst shift knob, LED Strips, USMC Decals FTMFW, Fox decal, Billet grille, Alarm with no remote, Straight piped to the side of the truck
    That kinda sucks... Oh well, as the phrase goes. SHIT HAPPENS!

10. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    True But that could of caused serious damage to my truck

11. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    superswamper003

superswamper003 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hendrik
    N. Snottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    1998 4wd TRD 3.4l Tacoma Xcab 313k miles!!!
    Fox Xtended travel coilovers w/resis, AllPro UCA's, AllPro 3 inch leaflets, 1" Diff Drop, 285/75/16 Bfg KO, 16x8 Black Pro Comp Steelies, AP 1.25" wheel spacers in front, 8 inch Rockford Fosgate sub that bumps like your mother, old school deck, downey headers, cold air intake, grey wire mod, e-locker, hurst shift knob, LED Strips, USMC Decals FTMFW, Fox decal, Billet grille, Alarm with no remote, Straight piped to the side of the truck
    Yeah good thing you found out early on

12. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    yeah from my understanding the front diff is spinning all the time wether in 4x4 mode or not. my truck sat almost 5 inches when i did my procomp lift for a different reason but, driving it gently on the street produced some binding of the axles and at full lock on pavement.

needless to say it scared the ever loving shit out of me lol like you though i fixed the issue within a few weeks time and averted any damage to the truck. btw the lift looks good on there how are you liking it and did you drop the sway bar?

13. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    I knew something had to of been wrong just always thought it was the rating on the spring. Not that I left the bolt extenders on from the leveling kit

14. Jul 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    I took the springs off and never put em back on they still sitting on m work bench in my garage. All I have are the stock springs with the leveling kit and pro conp shocks

15. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Musta had a sweet bro lean :cool:

16. Jul 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

You'll snap your CVs LONG before the diff is at risk.

17. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    I hated it too

18. Jul 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    That's what I had figured

Products Discussed in

To Top