Notices

886 or 885?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
boatbuilder is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: wildland Engine Boss
Name: Jim
boatbuilder's Tacoma Gallery
886 or 885?

Looking into an OME suspension upgrade. I have a regular cab, 4wd, manual. I am adding front and rear Relentless bumpers, a Summit winch, BAMF sliders and TRD wheels and will probably end up in the 285/75/16 range tire wise. The only question I think I have is which front springs. So, has anyone actually put in both the 885's and also the 886's in the same truck to give an idea of the ride difference? I have been told the 886's would "ride rough"......relative to what? I had a '94 with the Downey suspension in it and I liked it, somewhat rough ride and all. Any other ideas or thoughts will be given a look and are appreciated.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I believe 886's are to hold up the plate bumpers or a "weighted" front end. and with out a plate bumper your ride will be very harsh. I think I have heard you risk over extending your shock or something like that with out a bumper...

And 885's are for a normal front end that one is looking to lift. But wait for someone with experience, I could of easily made all that up.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Also I remember a member put some lift on hit truck that was not meant for a regular cab and gave him to much lift making the cv angles go to shit. I think it was "stunt man hans" if i remember right....so be careful of that as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Also I remember a member put some lift on hit truck that was not meant for a regular cab and gave him to much lift making the cv angles go to shit. I think it was "stunt man hans" if i remember right....so be careful of that as well.
That was Stunt man hans and it was a Procomp lift

I think 886's are too much spring for a reg cab and the weight you are talking about

also bjmoose is a good one to contact or check put their builds ( him and especk )
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
886 for bumpers and winch.

which im about to do here myself finally.....next month!!! when i get my used corolla!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
886 for bumpers and winch.
the OP has a reg cab
Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Especks Build for some inspiration lol

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...b-ome-4x4.html

885s BTW...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
boatbuilder is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: wildland Engine Boss
Name: Jim
boatbuilder's Tacoma Gallery
addition

I probably should have added that I would like to stay with as little lift as possible for all the reasons listed and more. I have been told that either the 885 or 886 will give you about 1.75" lift which would be tollerable if the winch, plate bumper along with the rear bumper and sliders soften it a bit. I already don't like the travel in the 2gen suspension so to quiet it down a bit would be great to me.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
I probably should have added that I would like to stay with as little lift as possible for all the reasons listed and more. I have been told that either the 885 or 886 will give you about 1.75" lift which would be tollerable if the winch, plate bumper along with the rear bumper and sliders soften it a bit. I already don't like the travel in the 2gen suspension so to quiet it down a bit would be great to me.
That 1.75 figure is wrong

885's without top spacers lifted my DCLB 4x4 2 1/2"

You should be fine with 885's on your reg cab even with the extra weight
Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
The guy I bought my 885s & Dakars from had a TRD AC with sliders & skids switched to 886s when he got a (non ARB) bumper & winch. He told me with the 886s it felt like he was being assaulted so he went back to 885s & added a spacer.
The 885s give my 4Banger AC 3" of lift with no armor.