Notices

Fat Bobs Garage U-Bolts Rusting?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
yoTaco98 is on a distinguished road
Name: Yos
yoTaco98's Tacoma Gallery
Fat Bobs Garage U-Bolts Rusting?

TW,

I lifted the truck back late January/February. I added the All-Pro standard leafs.

Because of the added height I needed longer U-Bolts.

I ordered Fat Bob's loger U-Bolts, since they are one of our sponsors.

So the bolts have been on for about 6 months and I noticed yesterday that they have begun to rust out. All of it, including the nuts, washers, etc.

I looked at my 13 year old OEMs and they had no rust, just dirty.

Fat Bob's says they are treated, and that this is just surface rust. I'm stunned that they are this bad after 6 months.

Has anyone else ordered u-bolts from Fat Bob's and experienced the same thing. Or has anyone had similar experiences with other U-bolts.

Is this normal, or should I be worried that these will be so rusted out in a couple years that I won't be able to remove them?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
They look fine to me.

If you ever need to remove them just cut them off and replace them. A set of bolts should be no more then $50 just about anywhere.

My AP flip bolts look have zero rust after a year, but I painted them before install even though they said they were coated. If your in the salt belt and worried about rust coat everything even if it says its coated.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Well... they do look pretty shitty. I'd be mildly perturbed. Looks like they're not galvanized. Err weren't ?

I wouldn't expect anything from Fat Bobs and I probably wouldn't do anything maybe some rust stop black paint and let em go until I need to change em out. They won't rust through, just be a bitch to get off without cutting but a torch or a cut off wheel would make quick work and if you have a compressor you can get a cut off wheel for like 20 bucks at Harbor Freight.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
yoTaco98 is on a distinguished road
Name: Yos
yoTaco98's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I don't know if I want that kind of headache later.

I would have painted and treated them if they had told me they weren't treated. But I had called Fat Bob's and them asked prior to ordering, and was told they were treated.

So who actually sells good quality u-bolts? I'd like to swap these out sooner than later.

I'm kinda surprised that Fat Bob's won't man up and just replace these, considering how much business the get from Tacomaworld. But they are basically saying, " it's just surface rust, and rust is normal."

It's not normal after 6 months.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from Wheelers, still looking good years later. But you could probably even find some locally.