Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Broken leaf

Old 08-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Broken leaf

Ok.. so I broke a leaf the other day on my 2010 Access cab 4 banger. I deserved it I guess.

So I've done quite a bit of reading on this site about shocks and springs and I'm still abit murky about what i should do..

I've been planning on getting Billy 5100 on all four corners anyway. I want the better ride and to level the truck. I have AirLift air bags on the back already. Is there an aftermarket leaf pack that's better than stock that DOES NOT raise the back? I could get just one leaf from somewhere and replace the broken one but Im assuming the other side may go too and I'd rather replace both sides.

I'm sure this topic is a dead horse already but I haven't found the answers I need.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
&erson will become famous soon enough&erson will become famous soon enough
&erson's Tacoma Gallery
just curious, how much weight are you loading?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't been carrying anything heavy in the back for awhile. But it has been abused in the past a few times hauling wood and sand. Not to mention the roads up here are kinda crappy so we tend to bounce around a bit as it is.. thats why I've been eyeballing the Billy 5100 for awhile.

It's to bad my warranty was done a few months ago.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Alcan can custom make a set to whatever specification you need (ride height, loading, etc). Off the shelf, you might be hard pressed to find a replacement. If you want OEM, you might want to check a junk yard. If I were you, I'd be looking to replace both leaf packs.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
IMO if your breaking a stock pack in a 2yo truck you need something beefier which will give you lift unless you do what Pugga said and go custom for tons of $$$.

if your willing to lift there are tons of choices out there and IMO thats your best bet.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
After doing abit more research, it seems that Im not the only one who's had leaf's break .. a few drivers have had them break with only highway driving.

I don't usually carry much, maybe a dirtbike or two, and I only really load it up a few times a year. Thats why I have the airbag helpers. I don't want to lift the rear only the front (5100's all around for a better ride too). I'm pretty sure the bouncy ride with the stock shocks on my bumpy road didn't help those leafs any.

I did find a Canadian dealer online who has Skyjacker Suspension leafs. The description doesn't really say if its a full pack or just add-a-leaf. The price seems too low for a full pack and too high for a single leaf. I'm waiting on confirmation.

Anyone use Skyjacker's before?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming you don't qualify for the US TSB pack? or your truck came with it already because it's a Canadian truck? Never know.... so figured I would ask. I know a couple people with Canadian cars down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
After doing abit more research, it seems that Im not the only one who's had leaf's break .. a few drivers have had them break with only highway driving.

I don't usually carry much, maybe a dirtbike or two, and I only really load it up a few times a year. Thats why I have the airbag helpers. I don't want to lift the rear only the front (5100's all around for a better ride too). I'm pretty sure the bouncy ride with the stock shocks on my bumpy road didn't help those leafs any.

I did find a Canadian dealer online who has Skyjacker Suspension leafs. The description doesn't really say if its a full pack or just add-a-leaf. The price seems too low for a full pack and too high for a single leaf. I'm waiting on confirmation.

Anyone use Skyjacker's before?
My Jeep friends run them. One guy just ripped it all off because he said it was junk. Thats for a Jeep though so no idea about a Tacoma.

What about new stock leaves again with something like a progressive aal and the overload removed because you have bags?