LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Hypothesis... OME suspension should have top plate spacers

Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Hypothesis... OME suspension should have top plate spacers

So in looking closer at my OME front shock lengths it appears pretty obvious they are designed to be run with top plate spacers to give longer collapsed and compressed length. They are short enough to severely limit droop and have enough room to run a 1/2" top plate without blinking.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If that were the case then OME would offer top plate spacers , which they do not
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Then why are OME shocks so short? With a 1/2" top plate spacer they appear to still be shorter than stock, fully extended. Seems like they have been selling the wrong shock to 2nd gen Tacoma owners for years.

The collapsed length is over an inch shorter than stock. But we cant collapse that last inch due to bump stops.

The extended length is .8" shorter than stock.

So even a 1/2" top plate spacer does not give back all our lost trvel.

I feel like I have been cheated.

My OME rears give more down travel by 1" and collapse .1" more. That is a good shock. It looks like any Tacoma with an OME front shock is a short travel truck... a truck with less wheel travel because our down travel is shock limited... by like an inch and a half.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Shut up Hippie!
ffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedffemt2987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: space ship door gunner
Name: Austin
ffemt2987's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Then why are OME shocks so short? With a 1/2" top plate spacer they appear to still be shorter than stock, fully extended. Seems like they have been selling the wrong shock to 2nd gen Tacoma owners for years.

The collapsed length is over an inch shorter than stock. But we cant collapse that last inch due to bump stops.

My OME rears give more down travel by 1" and collapse .1" more. That is a good shock. It looks like any Tacoma with an OME front shock is a short travel truck... a truck with less wheel travel because our down travel is shock limited... by like an inch and a half.
won't a 1/2" spacer give you 1" more and then actually be .2" longer then stock? ................................ LT baby

Maybe that's why I always thought they were a very jolting ride in trails with whoops and pot holes. hmmmmmm I'm guessing you have ARB's stated travel #'s?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You are comparing fully assembled strut units right? Do you have the N140S or the 90000 shocks?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Got a side by side photo? Like this:

Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A top plate spacer won't give the shock any more travel. The fact that you hit the bump stops before the shock is bottomed out is a good thing. If you bottomed out the shock before you hit the bumps, you'd break the shock.

You're right about the downtravel thing, that seems kind of silly.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
A top plate spacer won't give the shock any more travel. The fact that you hit the bump stops before the shock is bottomed out is a good thing. If you bottomed out the shock before you hit the bumps, you'd break the shock.

You're right about the downtravel thing, that seems kind of silly.

If they have an extended 1" up travel and he put on 1/2" spacer it would be the same as stock while getting back the down travel......no?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
If they have an extended 1" up travel and he put on 1/2" spacer it would be the same as stock while getting back the down travel......no?
I agree. I was just talking about the shock itself just in case someone was reading this and took it out of context. I see what DevL is saying about the bump stops robbing you of travel because of the shock's geometry.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I agree. I was just talking about the shock itself just in case someone was reading this and took it out of context. I see what DevL is saying about the bump stops robbing you of travel because of the shock's geometry.
could always go aftermarket bump stops. there are about a zillion to choose from.

I wanna see links to real numbers dam it
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
could always go aftermarket bump stops. there are about a zillion to choose from.

I wanna see links to real numbers dam it
x2. I want to see full droop numbers from hub to fender from someone with an OME lift vs. stock vs. 5100's all without top plates.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post

Riddle me this :

If the OME shocks were " designed " to be used with 1/2" top plate spacers , where are the OME top plate spacers ?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Riddle me this :

If the OME shocks were " designed " to be used with 1/2" top plate spacers , where are the OME top plate spacers ?
That's why it's a hypothesis...
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Just want to make sure this is an apples-to-apples comparison. The length is not from the threaded tip of the shock shaft I hope?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The OME shocks I had were a bit longer than the 5100's.....I had the N140s shocks.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
canoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to beholdcanoeski is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bill
canoeski's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, since I'm planning on these in the next 4-12 months.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I have N140S I have started a shock info thread halfway down the suspension page with shock info from the famnufacturers. Please add to it and correct any mistakes. My OME data is from OME's pdf on shock data on the arb website.

Also the doubling of height vs length does not change the fact the 1/2" spacer essentially lengthens the collapsed and extended LENGTH of the assembled unit. Ride height changes by double but I dont see how a 1/2" spacer chages the shock length more than 1/2"

If my factory specs are wrong then my hypothesis is wrong. Please go look at my other thread.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How about a link to the ARB shock info pdf ?